[PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed Postcards

Becky Erickson beckyerick at socket.net
Wed Apr 25 00:13:11 CDT 2007

I agree -
The general public does not know wild seed should be planted in December to
germinate. Fewer know what the seedlings look like and fewer yet know the
specific habitat of most wild species. How many people know that Iris
virginicus takes about 4 months to stratify (cold/wet), then needs to be
planted in a moist/wet, sunny spot such as a rain garden? If this habitat is
good, it will bloom the second year. It is a mystery to most that Indian
paintbrush is an annual that needs other native plants to parasitize. Blue
columbine is indigenous to montaine wetlands (high altitude moist soils).
Gaillardia and Oenethera usually prefer dry sandy soil in full sun; if sent
to be planted in damp clay soils of the Midwest, they certainly won't
persist.  And on and on . . .    I think it is absurd to use these valuable
seeds to be "thrown to the wind" (sent to people ignorant of their value or
habitat needs). Usually these seeds will be sent to people and places where
they won't persist so they can't really be considered alien invasives, but
what a waste!!!!!!!!

A postcard with a good photo of the plant, their cultural/habitat needs and
encouragement to visit the plants in their ecoregion printed would be of far
greater benefit toward the education of the uninitiated than to send them
seeds that need to be used in the region they came from.
Becky Erickson
Retired Missouri Ecotype Program Coordinator
Ashland MO 65010-0496