[PCA] QUESTION: Wildflower Seed Postcards

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Tue Apr 24 18:16:16 CDT 2007

I don't know of any regulation, but how about common sense.
The NPS should know better than to sell these things.
-Steve Erickson
Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoration
> I thought I'd just bring this up as an interesting topic for
discussion.

> The Alien Plant Working Group Chair, Jil Swearingen,
recently got an
> e-mail from a bookstore manager for two National Park
Service National
> Monuments about wildflower seed postcards.  Although the
product in
> question instructs the buyer not to open it within National
Parks, it
> also
> said that the packets can be sent & planted in most parts of
the world.
> The species used for the product being discussed were Wild
Iris, Indian
> Blanketflower, Primrose, Indian Paintbrush, and Blue
Columbine.
> However,
> quick Google search shows that all sorts of companies sell
similar
> postcards with a variety of species and I know I've seen
cards made from
> plantable paper with seeds embedded in the fibers.  I know
that people
> already trade seeds for things via postal mail, but postcard
products
> like
> these have the potential to become popular with the general
public and
> increase planting of seeds outside their natural areas.
There's also
> the
> invasiveness question as well.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts about the matter or know of any
regulations
> that
> come into play here?  It seems like it would be nearly
impossible to
> enforce rules for mailed postcards because they might not
be easily
> detected.
>
> Olivia
> CPC/PCA
> http://www.nps.gov/plants/

plants_lists.
> plantconservation.org
>
> Disclaimer
> Posts on this list reflect only the opinion of the individual
who is
> posting the message; they are not official opinions or
positions of the
> Plant Conservation Alliance.
>
> To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
> native-plants-request at lists.plantconservation.org with the