[PCA] Public input requested by March 26, 2006: Initiation of 5-Year Reviews of 56 Species in California and Nevada

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Mar 23 10:58:33 CST 2006

Below is the full FR notice requesting information on several plants out
West (bound to be some medicinals, too), whose listings under ESA are
under review.   The Notice is also available at:
http://epa.gov/EPA-SPECIES/2006/March/Day-22/

-Patricia

[Federal Register: March 22, 2006 (Volume 71, Number 55)]
[Notices]
[Page 14538-14542]
>From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access [wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr22mr06-90]

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
Fish and Wildlife Service

Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Initiation of 5-
Year Reviews of 56 Species in California and Nevada

AGENCY: Fish and Wildlife Service, Interior.
ACTION: Notice of review.

SUMMARY: We, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, announce the
initiation of a 5-year review of 56 species under section 4(c)(2)(B) of
the Endangered Species Act (Act). The purpose of a 5-year review is to
ensure that the classification of a species as threatened or endangered
on the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants is
accurate and based on the best scientific and commercial data available
at the time of the review. We are requesting submission of any such
information that has become available since the original listing of
each of these 56 species. Based on the results of these 5-year reviews,
we will make the requisite findings under section 4(c)(2)(A) of the Act.

DATES: We must receive your information no later than May 22, 2006.
However, we will continue to accept new information about any listed
species at any time.

ADDRESSES: See SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION for instructions on how to
submit information and review the information that we receive on these
species.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: For species-specific information,
contact the appropriate individual in Table 3 under ``Public
Solicitation of New Information.''

SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION:

Background

Why Is a 5-Year Review Conducted?

    Under the Endangered Species Act (Act) (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.), we
maintain a List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants at 50
CFR 17.11 (for animals) and 17.12 (for plants). Section 4(c)(2)(A) of
the Act requires that we conduct a review of listed species at least
once every 5 years. Then, on the basis of such reviews under section
4(c)(2)(B), we determine whether or not any species should be removed
from the List (delisted), or reclassified from endangered to threatened
or from threatened to endangered. Delisting a species must be supported
by the best scientific and commercial data available and only
considered if such data substantiates that the species is neither
endangered nor threatened for one or more of the following reasons: (1)
The species is considered extinct; (2) the species is considered to be
recovered; and/or (3) the original data available when the species was
listed, or the interpretation of such data, were in error. Any change
in Federal classification would require a separate rulemaking process.
The regulations in 50 CFR 424.21 require that we publish a notice in
the Federal Register announcing those species currently under active
review. This notice announces our active review of the 56 species
listed in Table 1.

                Table 1.--Summary of Listing Information for 56 Species in
California and Nevada
          Common name              Scientific name          Status Where
listed      Final listing rule
            animals
Ash Meadows Amargosa pupfish..  Cyprinodon nevadensis  Endangered......
U.S.A. (NV).....  48 FR 40178 (02-SEP-
                                 mionectes.                  83)
Behren's silverspot butterfly.  Speyeria zerene        Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 64306 (05-DEC-
                                 behrensii.                  97)
Blunt-nosed leopard lizard....  Gambelia silus.......  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  32 FR 4001 (11-MAR-
                  67)
California freshwater shrimp..  Syncaris pacifica....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  53 FR 43884 (31-OCT-
                  88)
Conservancy fairy shrimp......  Branchinecta           Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 48136 (19-SEP-
                                 conservatio.                  94)
Delta green ground beetle.....  Elaphrus viridis.....  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  45 FR 52807 (08-AUG-
                  80)
Desert dace...................  Eremichthys acros....  Threatened......
U.S.A. (NV).....  50 FR 50304 (10-DEC-
                  85)
Fresno kangaroo rat...........  Dipodomys nitratoides  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  50 FR 4222 (30-JAN-
                                 exilis.                  85)
Giant kangaroo rat............  Dipodomys ingens.....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  52 FR 283 (05-JAN-87)

[[Page 14539]]

Inyo California towhee........  Pipilo crissalis       Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  52 FR 28780 (03-AUG-
                                 eremophilus.                  87)
Kern primrose sphinx moth.....  Euproserpinus euterpe  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  45 FR 24088 (08-APR-
                  80)
Laguna Mountains skipper......  Pyrgus ruralis         Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 2313 (16-JAN-
                                 lagunae.                  97)
Longhorn fairy shrimp.........  Branchinecta           Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 48136 (19-SEP-
                                 longiantenna.                  94)
Modoc sucker..................  Catostomus microps...  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  50 FR 24526 (11-JUN-
                  85)
Pahrump poolfish..............  Empetrichthys latos..  Endangered......
U.S.A. (NV).....  32 FR 4001 (11-MAR-
                  67)
Paiute cutthroat trout........  Oncorhynchus clarki    Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  32 FR 4001 (11-MAR-
                                 seleniris.                  67)
Riverside fairy shrimp........  Streptocephalus        Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  58 FR 41384 (03-AUG-
                                 woottoni.                  93)
San Diego fairy shrimp........  Branchinecta           Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 4925 (03-FEB-
                                 sandiegonensis.                  97)
San Joaquin kit fox...........  Vulpes macrotis        Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  32 FR 4001 (11-MAR-
                                 mutica.                  67)
Tidewater goby................  Eucyclogobius          Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 5494 (04-FEB-
                                 newberryi.                  94)
Vernal pool fairy shrimp......  Branchinecta lynchi..  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA, OR).  59 FR 48136 (19-SEP-
                  94)
Vernal pool tadpole shrimp....  Lepidurus packardi...  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 48136 (19-SEP-
                  94)
White River spinedace.........  Lepidomeda albivallis  Endangered......
U.S.A. (NV).....  50 FR 37194 (12-SEP-
                  85)

            plants
Bakersfield cactus............  Opuntia treleasei....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  55 FR 29361 (19-JUL-
                  90)
Ben Lomond spineflower........  Chorizanthe pungens    Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 5499 (04-FEB-
                                 var. hartwegiana.                  94)
Butte County meadowfoam.......  Limnanthes floccosa    Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  57 FR 24192 (08-JUN-
                                 ssp. californica.                  92)
California jewelflower........  Caulanthus             Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  55 FR 29361 (19-JUL-
                                 californicus.                  90)
Catalina Island mountain-       Cercocarpus traskiae.  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 42692 (08-AUG-
 mahogany.                  97)
Chorro Creek bog thistle......  Cirsium fontinale      Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 64613 (15-DEC-
                                 var. obispoense.                  94)
Coachella Valley milk-vetch...  Astragalus             Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  63 FR 53596 (06-OCT-
                                 lentiginosus var.                  98)
                                 coachellae.
Colusa grass..................  Neostapfia colusana..  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 14338 (26-MAR-
                  97)
Hairy Orcutt grass............  Orcuttia pilosa......  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 14338 (26-MAR-
                  97)
Hoffmann's rock-cress.........  Arabis hoffmannii....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 40954 (31-JUL-
                  97)
Howell's spineflower..........  Chorianthe howellii..  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  57 FR 27848 (22-JUN-
                  92)
Indian Knob mountain balm.....  Eriodictyon            Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 64613 (15-DEC-
                                 altissimum.                  94)
Kern mallow...................  Eremalche kernensis..  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  55 FR 29361 (19-JUL-
                  90)
Lane Mountain milk-vetch......  Astragalus             Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  63 FR 53596 (06-OCT-
                                 jaegerianus.                  98)
Menzies' wallflower...........  Erysimum menziesii...  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  57 FR 27848 (22-JUN-
                  92)
Monterey gilia................  Gilia tenuiflora ssp.  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  57 FR 27848 (22-JUN-
                                 arenaria.                  92)
Morro manzanita...............  Arctostaphylos         Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 64613 (15-DEC-
                                 morroensis.                  94)
Munz's onion..................  Allium munzii........  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  63 FR 54975 (13-OCT-
                  98)
Otay tarplant.................  Deinandra              Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA);      63 FR 54937 (13-OCT-
                                 (=Hemizonia) Mexico (B.C.).    98)
                                 conjugens.
Orcutt's spineflower..........  Chorizanthe            Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  61 FR 52370 (07-OCT-
                                 orcuttiana.                  96)
Pismo clarkia.................  Clarkia speciosa ssp.  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  59 FR 64613 (15-DEC-
                                 immaculata.                  94)
Sacramento Orcutt grass.......  Orcuttia viscida.....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 14338 (26-MAR-
                  97)
San Jacinto Valley crownscale.  Atriplex coronata      Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  63 FR 54975 (13-OCT-
                                 var. notatior.                  98)
Santa Cruz Island bush-mallow.  Malacothamnus          Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 40954 (31-JUL-
                                 fasciculatus var.                  97)
                                 nesioticus.
Santa Rosa Island manzanita...  Arctostaphylos         Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 40954 (31-JUL-
                                 confertiflora.                  97)
Showy Indian clover...........  Trifolium amoenum....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 54791 (22-OCT-
                  97)
Slender-horned spineflower....  Dodecahema leptoceras  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  52 FR 36265 (28-SEP-
                  87)
Slender Orcutt grass..........  Orcuttia tenuis......  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 14338 (26-MAR-
                  97)
Soft-leaved paintbrush........  Castilleja mollis....  Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA).....  62 FR 40954 (31-JUL-
                  97)
Spreading navarretia..........  Navarretia fossalis..  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA);      63 FR 54975 (13-OCT-
 Mexico (B.C.).    98)
Steamboat buckwheat...........  Eriogonum ovalifolium  Endangered......
U.S.A. (NV).....  51 FR 24669 (08-JUL-
                                 var. williamsiae.                  86)
Thread-leaved brodiaea........  Brodiaea filifolia...  Threatened......
U.S.A. (CA).....  63 FR 54975 (13-OCT-
                  98)
Willowy monardella............  Monardella linoides    Endangered......
U.S.A. (CA);      63 FR 54937 (13-OCT-
                                 ssp. viminea. Mexico.           98)

What Information Is Considered in the Review?

    A 5-year review considers all new information available at the time
of the review. In conducting these reviews, we consider the best
scientific and commercial data that has become available since the
current listing determination or most recent status review, such as:
    A. Species biology including, but not limited to, population
trends, distribution, abundance, demographics, and genetics;
    B. Habitat conditions including, but not limited to, amount,
distribution, and suitability;
    C. Conservation measures that have been implemented that benefit
the species;
    D. Threat status and trends (see five factors under heading ``How
Do We Determine Whether a Species is Endangered or Threatened?''); and
    E. Other new information, data, or corrections including, but not
limited to, taxonomic or nomenclatural changes,

[[Page 14540]]

identification of erroneous information contained in the List, and
improved analytical methods.

How Do We Determine Whether a Species Is Endangered or Threatened?

    Section 4(a)(1) of the Act requires that we determine whether a
species is endangered or threatened based on one or more of the five
following factors:
    A. The present or threatened destruction, modification, or
curtailment of its habitat or range;
    B. Overutilization for commercial, recreational, scientific, or
educational purposes;
    C. Disease or predation;
    D. The inadequacy of existing regulatory mechanisms; or
    E. Other natural or manmade factors affecting its continued existence.
Our assessment of these factors is required, under section 4(b)(1) of
the Act, to be based solely on the best scientific and commercial data
available.

What Could Happen as a Result of This Review?

    If we find information concerning the 56 species listed in Table 1
indicating that a change in classification may be warranted, we may
propose a new rule that could do one of the following: (a) Reclassify
the species from threatened to endangered; (b) reclassify the species
from endangered to threatened; or (c) remove the species from the List.
If we find that a change in classification is not warranted, the
species will remain on the List under its current status.

Public Solicitation of New Information

    To ensure that these 5-year reviews are complete and based on the
best available scientific and commercial information, we solicit new
information from the public, concerned governmental agencies, Tribes,
the scientific community, environmental entities, industry, and any
other interested parties concerning the status of the species.
    If you wish to provide information for any species included in
these 5-year reviews, submit your comments and materials to the Field
Supervisors at the appropriate Fish and Wildlife Office as presented in
Table 2. Our practice is to make comments, including names and home
addresses of respondents, available for public review during regular
business hours. Respondents may request that we withhold a respondent's
identity, as allowable by law. If you wish us to withhold your name or
address, you must state this request prominently at the beginning of
your comment. We will not consider anonymous comments, however. To the
extent consistent with applicable law, we will make all submissions
from organizations or businesses, and from individuals identifying
themselves as representatives or officials of organizations or
businesses, available for public inspection in their entirety. Comments
and materials received will be available for public inspection, by
appointment, during normal business hours at the offices where the
comments are submitted.

 Table 2.--Addresses for Submitting Comments on the 5-Year Reviews of 56
                    Species in California and Nevada
                Species                       Addresses for comments
Laguna Mountains skipper...............  Field Supervisor, Attention: 5-
                                          Year Review, U.S. Fish and
                                          Wildlife Service, Carlsbad
                                          Fish and Wildlife Office, 6010
                                          Hidden Valley Road, Carlsbad,
                                          CA 92009.
                                         Information may also be
                                          submitted electronically at
                                          <A HREF="mailto:FW85yr06 at fws.gov
">FW85yr06 at fws.gov</A>.
Riverside fairy shrimp
San Diego fairy shrimp
Catalina Island mountain mahogany
Coachella Valley milk-vetch
Munz's onion
Orcutt's spineflower
Otay tarplant
San Jacinto Valley crownscale
Slender-horned spineflower
Spreading navarretia
Thread-leaved brodiaea
Willowy monardella
Inyo California towhee.................  Field Supervisor, Attention: 5-
                                          Year Review, U.S. Fish and
                                          Wildlife Service, Ventura Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office, 2493
                                          Portola Road, Suite B,
                                          Ventura, CA 93003.
                                         Information may also be
                                          submitted electronically at
                                          <A HREF="
mailto:fw1vfwo5year at fws.gov">fw1vfwo5year at fws.gov</A>.
Tidewater goby
Ben Lomond spineflower
Chorro Creek bog thistle
Hoffmann's rock-cress
Indian Knob mountain balm
Lane Mountain milk-vetch
Menzies' wallflower
Monterey gilia
Morro manzanita
Pismo clarkia
Santa Cruz Island bush-mallow
Santa Rosa Island manzanita
Soft-leaved paintbrush

[[Page 14541]]

Blunt-nosed leopard lizard.............  Field Supervisor, Attention: 5-
                                          Year Review, U.S. Fish and
                                          Wildlife Service, Sacramento
                                          Fish and Wildlife Office, 2800
                                          Cottage Way, Room W-2605,
                                          Sacramento, CA 95825.
                                         Information may also be
                                          submitted electronically at
                                          <A HREF="
mailto:fw1sfo5year at fws.gov">fw1sfo5year at fws.gov</A>.
California freshwater shrimp
Conservancy fairy shrimp
Delta green ground beetle
Fresno kangaroo rat
Giant kangaroo rat
Kern primrose sphinx moth
Longhorn fairy shrimp
San Joaquin kit fox
Vernal pool fairy shrimp
Vernal pool tadpole shrimp
Bakersfield cactus
Butte County meadowfoam
California jewelflower
Colusa grass
Hairy Orcutt grass
Kern mallow
Sacramento Orcutt grass
Showy Indian clover
Slender Orcutt grass
Ash Meadows Amargosa pupfish...........  Field Supervisor, Attention: 5-
                                          Year Review, U.S. Fish and
                                          Wildlife Service, Nevada Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office, 1340
                                          Financial Blvd., Suite 234,
                                          Reno, NV 89502.
                                         Information may also be
                                          submitted electronically at
                                          <A HREF="
mailto:fw1nfwo_5yr at fws.gov">fw1nfwo_5yr at fws.gov</A>.
Desert dace
Pahrump poolfish
Paiute cutthroat trout
White River spinedace
Steamboat buckwheat
Behren's silverspot butterfly..........  Field Supervisor, Attention: 5-
                                          Year Review, U.S. Fish and
                                          Wildlife Service, Arcata Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office, 11655
                                          Heindon Road, Arcata, CA
                                          95521.
                                         Information may also be
                                          submitted electronically at
                                          <A HREF="
mailto:howellsspineflower at fws.gov">howellsspineflower at fws.gov</A> for
                                          Howell's spineflower and
                                          <A HREF="
mailto:behrenssilverspot at fws.gov">behrenssilverspot at fws.gov</A> for
                                          Behren's silverspot butterfly.
                                         Howell's spineflower
Modoc sucker...........................  Field Supervisor, Attention: 5-
                                          Year Review, U.S. Fish and
                                          Wildlife Service, Klamath
                                          Falls Fish and Wildlife
                                          Office, 6610 Washburn Way,
                                          Klamath Falls, OR 97603.
                                          <A HREF="mailto:kfalls at fws.gov
">kfalls at fws.gov</A>.

    For further information on any of the 56 species, contact the
person identified for that species in Table 3.

 Table 3.--Information Contacts for 56 Species Undergoing 5-Year Review
                        in California and Nevada
                Species                        Information contact
Laguna Mountains skipper...............  Jim Bartel at the Carlsbad Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office at (760)
                                          431-9440.
Riverside fairy shrimp
San Diego fairy shrimp
Catalina Island mountain mahogany
Coachella Valley milk-vetch
Munz's onion
Orcutt's spineflower
Otay tarplant
San Jacinto Valley crownscale
Slender-horned spineflower
Spreading navarretia
Thread-leaved brodiaea
Willowy monardella

[[Page 14542]]

Inyo California towhee.................  Mike McCrary at the Ventura
                                          Fish and Wildlife Office at
                                          (805) 644-1766.
                                         Tidewater goby
Ben Lomond spineflower.................  Connie Rutherford at the
                                          Ventura Fish and Wildlife
                                          Office at (805) 644-1766.
Chorro Creek bog thistle
Hoffmann's rock-cress
Indian Knob mountain balm
Lane Mountain milk-vetch
Menzies' wallflower
Monterey gilia
Morro manzanita
Pismo clarkia
Santa Cruz Island bush-mallow
Santa Rosa Island manzanita
Soft-leaved paintbrush
Blunt-nosed leopard lizard.............  Craig Aubrey at the Sacramento
                                          Fish and Wildlife Office at
                                          (916) 414-6600.
California freshwater shrimp
Conservancy fairy shrimp
Delta green ground beetle
Fresno kangaroo rat
Giant kangaroo rat
Kern primrose sphinx moth
Longhorn fairy shrimp
San Joaquin kit fox
Vernal pool fairy shrimp
Vernal pool tadpole shrimp
Bakersfield cactus
Butte County meadowfoam
California jewelflower
Colusa grass
Hairy Orcutt grass
Kern mallow
Sacramento Orcutt grass
Showy Indian clover
Slender Orcutt grass
Ash Meadows Amargosa pupfish...........  Jody Brown at the Nevada Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office at (775)
                                          861-6300.
Desert dace
Pahrump poolfish
Paiute cutthroat trout
White River spinedace
Steamboat buckwheat
Howell's spineflower...................  Dave Imper at the Arcata Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office at (707)
                                          822-7201.
Behren's silverspot butterfly..........  Jim Watkins at the Arcata Fish
                                          and Wildlife Office at (707)
                                          822-7201.
Modoc sucker...........................  Ron Larson at the Klamath Falls
                                          Fish and Wildlife Office at
                                          (541) 885-8481.

Authority

    This document is published under the authority of the Endangered
Species Act of 1973, as amended (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.).

    Dated: February 9, 2006.
Paul Henson,
Manager, California/Nevada Operations Office, U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service.
[FR Doc. E6-4120 Filed 3-21-06; 8:45 am]
BILLING CODE 4310-55-P

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-SPECIES/index.html
Comments: http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/comments.htm
Search: http://epa.gov/fedreg/search.htm