[PCA] Citizen Science: The NatureMapping Program and 2006 Ntl. Meeting (Shepherdstown, WV)

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Jan 19 10:43:05 CST 2006

Along the lines of Citizen Science Monitoring mentioned at the 11Jan06 PCA
meeting (notes from that meeting will be distributed soon!)...

NATUREMAPPING FACTOIDS

   The NatureMapping program was developed in 1993 through cooperative
   efforts of Washington State University, USGS and the Washington Dept of
   Fish and Wildlife started USGS  -
   http://www.gap.uidaho.edu/Projects/NatureMapping/naturemapping/factsheetnm.pdf

   The goal of the program is to..."to create a national network that links
   natural resource agencies, academia and land planners with local
   communities primarily through schools... Our goal is to keep common
   animals common and to maintain our quality of life. Our approach is to
   train individuals to become aware of their natural resources and to
   provide the tools to inventory and monitor their resources."
   http://www.fish.washington.edu/naturemapping/

   As of 1999, more than 50,000 people were participating in Washington
   state alone.
   (http://www.gap.uidaho.edu/Projects/NatureMapping/naturemapping/factsheetnm.pdf)

   At least twelve states are participating in this effort (see
   http://www.fish.washington.edu/naturemapping/waloc.html).

   Workshops are given to train folks to do the work...See 2006 schedule:
   http://www.fish.washington.edu/naturemapping/workshop.html#schedule

   A national meeting is scheduled at the National Conservation Training
   Center (NCTC )
         Nature Mapping
         9th Annual National Meeting, Shepherdstown, West Virginia
         October 18-20, 2006

   For more information contact:

      Karen M. Dvornich
      University of Washington
      School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, Box 355020
      Seattle, WA 98195
      (206) 616-2031
      e-mail: vicon at u.washington.edu