[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

mangodance bmn at iglou.com
Thu Aug 31 09:17:35 CDT 2006

Lewis_Gorman at fws.gov wrote:

> It's hard to believe that managing Interstate and limited access
> highways, clover leaves, etc. by merely not mowing them (except for
> safety requirements) would not be of overall advantage to all wildlife.
>  Is a study really required to determine an overall benefit?  Increased
> biodiversity alone should justify supporting a reduced mowing policy on
> highway lands.
> There must be millions of acres being mowed at great cost, petroleum
> energy use, and associated air pollution that would be significantly
> reduced by halting mowing, except as minimally required by federal
> highway safety specifications.

I've been carping about not mowing for years (even before I got there).
  Mowing is basically a jobs program.  The contracting for mowing is as
ugly as any defense contracting.  The safety aspect is ridiculous.  They
tell me they're afraid people will go off road and hit a tree.
Apparently all the rock walls, drop-offs to creeks, and similar things
are not dangerous to people leaving the road.

Additionally, if it was REALLY safety they were after, they wouldn't put
all that optimum deer browse next to the roads.