[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

Renee Scagnelli pbfiddler at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 09:16:25 CDT 2006

Timing of mowing is critical in our area (NJ Pine barrens)---we've lost a number of populations of native orchids and pine barrens gentians, etc. because mowing was too early in the season; otoh, complete cessation of mowing allows for succession which again can be problematic for some of our rarer plants that don't don't handle competition well (Schwalbea americana, for instance).

Renee Scagnelli

Renée (Brecht) Scagnelli
Associate Director
Citizens United to Protect the Maurice River and its Tributaries

  U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services Volunteer Coordinator: Adopt-a-swamp pink population and Knieskerns monitoring program
 Vineland Environmental Commission
 South Jersey Bayshores Coalition
 Cumberland County Eagle Festival Committee 2006 (formerly Raptor Festival)
 Partnerships for NJ Plant Conservation

 Visit NJ Pines and Down Jersey

Join our NJ Pines & Down Jersey Forums