[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Aug 30 09:21:18 CDT 2006

A conversation occurring over another list that some of you may find
interesting and may want to provide input on ( to the person who sent the
e-mail).

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 08/30/2006 10:18
AM -----

Lucy_Jordan at fws.gov

08/28/2006 01:12 PM

Subject
[Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

With respect to the various comments I am getting, specifically from Chip
Taylor, is anyone doing studies to determine whether roadside refugia
serve as  sources or sinks for pollinator or beneficial insect
populations,
given the inevitable mortality?  It would be helpful to know whether the
mortality is more than compensated by fecundity.  It would also be helpful
to associate that with road capacity/size and traffic use and patterns.

Also, we need to know which ROW management practices help or hurt species.
For example, many roadways here in Utah are mowed in late June or early
July.  Is that ok?  Or does not increase mortality, cause loss of
reproductive output, make habitat unsuitable?

On another note, if we improve these areas for pollinators, does that
result in an increase in mortality of birds that might use the habitat or
might feed on the insects?

Roads are really lethal.  We need to know whether, and under what
conditions, it is beneficial or detrimental to manage them for wildlife.

Lucy

Dr. Lucy A. Jordan
Fish & Wildlife Biologist
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Utah Ecological Services Office
2369 W. Orton Circle (2300 South), Suite 50
West Valley City, Utah 84119
Phone:     (801) 975-3330
Fax:         (801) 975-3331
email:       lucy_jordan at fws.gov

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again.