[PCA] NPCC News: Senate Designates May 11, 2006 "Endangered Species Day"

Emily B. Roberson eroberson at biologicaldiversity.org
Mon Apr 10 18:54:19 CDT 2006

**NATIVE PLANT CONSERVATION CAMPAIGN NEWS **
(D-CA) and was adopted unanimously.

We hope that Endangered Species Day will become an annual event.

Below find press releases from Senator Feinstein and the Endangered Species
Coalition on the resolution.

The Native Plant Conservation Campaign thanks Sen. Feinstein, her cosponsors
and all those who contacted the Senate regarding this issue.

Senator Feinstein's Press Release:  (see it online
http://feinstein.senate.gov/06releases/r-endangered-species.htm )

Senate Approves Senator Feinstein's Resolution Declaring  May 11th
 "Endangered Species Day"
April 6, 2006

Washington, DC - The Senate has approved a resolution by Senator Dianne
Feinstein (D-Calif.) declaring May 11, 2006 "Endangered Species Day." This
designation will raise awareness about the enduring threats to endangered
species and successes in species recovery.

"California's conservation efforts have already helped restore California
condor, winter run chinook salmon, and California gray whale populations,"
Senator Feinstein said. "But more still needs to be done, and I hope that
Endangered Species Day will spark
wonder and interest in conservation efforts throughout the country."

"Endangered Species Day" will provide opportunities for people to learn
about the more than 1,000 endangered species that are at risk of extinction
in the United States and abroad. This resolution, approved unanimously last
night, encourages:

* Educational entities such as libraries and schools to teach and inform
students about threats to endangered species and conservation efforts.

* Organizations, businesses, private landowners, and government agencies to
collaborate on educational information for use in schools. This may include
lectures, brochures, magazine articles, or field trips.

Senators Lincoln Chafee (R-R.I.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), Hillary Clinton
(D-N.Y.), CarlLevin (D-Mich.), Robert C. Byrd (D-W.Va.), Joseph Biden
(D-Del.), Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.),Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.), Russ Feingold
(D-Wis.), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.), and Olympia Snowe
(R Maine) cosponsored the resolution.

The following organizations have offered their support for this resolution:
* National Audubon Society
* Sierra Club
* World Wildlife Fund
* The Humane Society of the United States
* Natural Resources Defense Council
* National Wildlife Federation
* Endangered Species Coalition
* Center for Biological Diversity
* The Ocean Conservancy
* National Association of Biology Teachers
* National Science Teachers Association
* American Zoo and Aquarium Association
* Society for Conservation Biology
* The League of Conservation Voters
* Environmental Defense

Senate Unanimously Supports
Endangered Species Day

 "Endangered Species Day" on May 11th will educate the American public about
the importance of protecting endangered species

Contact:
Sarah Matsumoto: 505-486-0567
David Robinson: 619-321-8003

Washington, DC- The Senate unanimously passed a resolution designating May
11 as "Endangered Species Day" to raise awareness about the threats to
endangered species and the success stories in species recovery.
	"We applaud the Senate for recognizing the importance of protecting
endangered species and their habitat," said Sarah Matsumoto, Field Director
of the Endangered Species Coalition.  "It is a victory for all Americans who
care about our nation's wildlife, such as the bald eagle, gray wolf and
Pacific salmon."
San Diego resident David Robinson started the idea to create a day dedicated
to endangered species protection and approached his senator, Dianne
Feinstein (D-CA), about the idea several months ago.
"It is a great opportunity for young and old alike to learn about our
nation's wildlife and get involved in protecting endangered species and
their habitat," says Robinson.
"Endangered Species Day" will provide an opportunity for schools, libraries,
museums, zoos, botanical gardens, agencies, businesses, community groups and
conservation organizations to educate the public about the importance of
protecting endangered species and highlight the everyday actions that
individuals and groups can take to help protect our nation's wildlife, fish
and plants.  With over 1,800 species worldwide now listed as threatened and
endangered, and thousands more threatened with extinction unless they are
protected, every such public education effort is greatly needed.
"We believe that we have a responsibility to protect wildlife, plants and
fish that are on the brink of extinction," said Liz Godfrey, Program
Director of the Endangered Species Coalition.  "We owe it to our children
and grandchildren to be good stewards of the environment and leave behind a
legacy of protecting endangered species and the special places they call
home."
The resolution passed the Senate Wednesday night with unanimous consent. It
was introduced by Sen. Feinstein (D-CA) and was co-sponsored by Senators
Biden (D-DE), Byrd (D-WV) Cantwell (D-WA), Chafee (R-RI), Clinton (D-NY),
Crapo (R-ID), Dodd (D-CT), Feingold (D-WI), Levin (D-MI), Lieberman (D-CT),
Reed (D-RI), and Snowe (R-ME).

The Endangered Species Coalition is a national network of hundreds of
conservation, scientific, religious, sporting, business and community
organizations across the country working to protect endangered species and
habitat.
For more information, visit www.stopextinction.org

_____________________
Emily B. Roberson, Ph.D.
Director
Native Plant Conservation Campaign

PMB 151 (not p.o.b)
1459 18th St.
San Francisco, CA 94107
Phone: 415 970 0394

Email:  eroberson at biologicaldiversity.org
Web:   www.plantsocieties.org

The NPCC is a project of the Center for Biological Diversity and the
California Native Plant Society.

The mission of the NPCC is to promote appreciation and conservation of
native plant species and communities through collaboration, education, law,
policy, land use and management.