[PCA] Forest Protection Week in DC May 21-6

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue Apr 4 08:45:56 CDT 2006

Forwarding this message.

If you have questions, please contact Jen Sawada, Campaign Associate at
jksawada at americanlands.org or at 202-547-5974.

- - -

Forest Protection Week - DC - May 21-26

You are invited to attend American Lands’ annual Forest Protection Week in
Washington, DC, May 21 – 26, 2006.  With the Walden-Baird logging bill
moving through the House Resources and Agriculture Committees and an
expected floor vote in the House this Spring, American Lands is organizing
a Congressional education week to bring forest advocates to Washington, DC
to educate Members of Congress and their staff about the important role
natural disturbance plays on our forests and the detrimental impacts
caused by logging after these natural events.  We will also address other
timely national forest issues.

This is also an opportunity to educate your entire Congressional
delegation about what is at stake on your forest and in your region:
including federal lands for sale under the new Bush administration’s
proposal to fund the Secure Rural Schools Act, threats to roadless, old
growth, and endangered species.  If you have examples of successful forest
restoration projects and community protection projects, please be prepared
to talk about those examples as well.

Your Congressional representatives need to hear directly from you about
the importance of our national forests and how their decisions can impact
our natural heritage for better or for worse for years to come.  You can
make a big difference by coming to Washington.  Members of Congress want
to hear from their constituents!  In addition, you will gain valuable
experience and contacts with key lawmakers that could prove beneficial in
future efforts.  Please join us!

Register for Forest Protection Week

To attend the Forest Protection Week, May 21-26, 2006, please complete the
online registration form .
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia...nlandsalliance
/event/index.jsp?event_KEY=13330>

Please register as soon as possible and no later than April 19.  After you
register, we will be sending out information about housing, scheduling
meetings on Capitol Hill, and other logistics.

Scholarships

Travel scholarships will be available for airfare or other transportation
such as mileage reimbursement and bus or train ticket. In order to receive
a scholarship, you must be in DC for three full days.  If you are in need
of a scholarship, please put in your request as soon as possible.

Forest Protection Week Schedule

Issue briefing: On Sunday, May 21, there will be an issue briefing from
3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. American Lands strongly encourages everyone attend.
This is an important opportunity to be briefed on the issues we will be
working on during the week and to learn tips on how to effectively deliver
your message on Capital Hill.  Location to be announced.

Hitting the Hill:  Monday, May 22 – Friday, May 26, you will meet with
Members of Congress and their staff. We ask that you work with other
activists coming from your state to schedule meetings with your entire
Congressional delegation – both House and Senate. American Lands will help
you connect with activists from your region and we will provide you all
the information and materials you will need to schedule your meetings.  In
addition to meeting with your delegation, you may be asked to meet with
other key Congressional offices in your region.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening at 5:30 p.m. we ask
everyone to join us for a debriefing meeting to share information with
each other about what we have learned in our meetings. On Thursday evening
we will have a party to celebrate our efforts.

If you have questions, please contact Jen Sawada, Campaign Associate at
jksawada at americanlands.org or at 202-547-5974.

We look forward to seeing you in May!

Jennifer Sawada
Campaign Associate
American Lands Alliance
202-547-5974 (phone)
202-547-9213 (fax)

**The mission of American Lands Alliance is to protect and restore
America’s forest ecosystems by providing national leadership,
coordination, and capacity building for the forest conservation movement.
We provide national leadership on forest policy issues by combining
grassroots experience with a deep understanding of Washington politics.**

For up to date information on national forest issues go to:
www.americanlands.org.

with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare
information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by
the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts
do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant
Conservation Alliance.