[PCA] TV: David Mizejewski on the Today Show

John De Noyer jdenoyer at erols.com
Mon Jul 19 21:21:05 CDT 2004

Theoretically, we agree with philosophical concerns that everyone should
know about and care about wild plant communities in natural and wilderness
areas.  Realistically, most people know little (if anything) and care less.

We have taught people for years about habitat and gardening for wildlife,
native plants, exotic invasives, living lightly, etc. in the informal
learning situations where people live their everyday lives.  This is where
you reach the masses. It is never enough, but "saving the planet" begins at
home and in each workplace, community garden, schoolyard habitat, and
fragment of natural area in urban places. Families benefit tremendously from
learning and practicing gardening, with important concepts that can be part
of living and relating to the larger natural world. We both experienced this
long before the NWF habitat programs were begun and have observed the
differences in attitudes of children raised by gardeners who have a personal
relationship with the earth. People who garden organically with native
plants for urban wildlife species also plant seeds of awareness as they
share concepts with neighbors and friends. We have also made both personal
and broader "eco-awareness" a significant part of programs for thousands of
Scouts.  Who knows what these kids will do in the years to come? Perhaps a
few will keep on learning and become natural scientists and
conservationists.

Therefore, we agree with the following prior comments:

".every individual who we can reach is one more footstep in the long walk to
a better informed public - like most anything worthwhile it is one
step/person at a time."

 ~ Bonnie Caruthers, Thyme & Tiarella

"But more importantly, I firmly believe that we can't have a single approach
if we're going to have any success in conservation."  ~ David Mizejewski

"Wildlife gardening" and "conservation of biodiversity" are not mutually
exclusive and it is a waste to polarize our energies. Some comments in this
discussion mention sniping and there is a divisive, derisive tone to several
posts. For example, this comment caught our attention:  "How is a 22nd
century botanist to know that a woodlot population is naturally-occurring or
originally planted in a nearby yard?"  Reality check: the only way there
will BE ANY 22nd century botany to explore is by more of our human species
getting interested in ANY plants, planting and growing, and then extending
or expanding this to plant communities, bioconsciousness and bioethics.  So
the discussion gets right back to the back yard where people live and begin
to learn.

Right on, Dave! Your book is excellent and you did fine on the Today show.

John M. De Noyer, Ph.D., and Ann H. Csonka

Nature's Web, LLC

600 Austin Lane, Herndon, Virginia 20170
NWF Backyard Habitat Number 12869