[PCA] TV: David Mizejewski on the Today Show

MALawler at aol.com MALawler at aol.com
Sun Jul 18 12:00:09 CDT 2004

Great job on the show, David.  Especially getting so much information into
such a little bit of time!

May I add my 2-cents worth on the value of backyard habitats on a very
personal level.  My brother works in the corporate world in northern Illinois and
had been in the Army. His  contacts with the natural world were occasional
fishing and hunting trips in northern Wisconsin.  His idea of gardening was to
conquer the lawn and weeds.

When he found out that I was changing what was growing in my backyard to
benefit birds, pollinators, chipmunks and other critters and that my backyard was
"certified," by NWF, he became interested in trying new things and in feeding
birds with birdseed. He also became interested in native plants.  Over the
past four years, he has created a woodland garden under trees and several
"prairie" beds of native flowers.  He started taking walks to see wildflowers in the
forest preserves near him, and taking his grandson.  He's now very
knowledgeable about species native to Illlinois.  And he volunteers to help remove
buckthorn and other invasives. His trips to northern Wisconsin are not to hunt, but
to see what seasonal wildflowers are in bloom. He writes his Senators and
Representative about environmental legislation; and most importantly, his voting
decisions are now primarily based on the environmental record of candidates.
It's a complete change.

I agree that saving habitat and protecting biodiversity are the most
important things we can do and where we should put most of our efforts. But to do so,
we have to help people understand why they are important so that they can make
informed choices.  And Americans (according to The American Nursery and
Landscape Association) spend more than $17 billion a year on gardening.  It would
be great if the Land and Water Conservation Fund appropriations were anywhere
close to that!

Mary Ann Lawler
Virginia Native Plant Society
(and retired U.S. Dept. of the Interior)