[PCA] follow-up questions, native plants for cities, stormwater management

Louisa Rogoff Thompson louisathompson at erols.com
Thu Dec 9 11:38:43 CST 2004

Thank you, to the many people who have responded to my question about
native plants for stormwater management.  At the request of several of
you, I will eventually send the listserve a summary of the replies.  The
main findings seem to be that (1) soil, much more than plants, takes up
heavy metals, (2) most salt-tolerant plants do not require salt, and (3)
because road salt tends to be washed out of soil by spring rains, its
most damaging effects are on early-germinating seed.

Meanwhile, I have some follow-up questions.  I think there's an
implication that salt-tolerance goes together with tolerance of heavy
metals, but I don't know chemistry at all.  Is this correct?

The design I've been asked to submit takes rain from the street and
pipes it onto the rain garden.  (Please note, we are not dealing with
sewage or fertilizer runoff.)

Most bioretention facilities or rain gardens have two planted sections,
a forebay with tougher plants and a larger bioretention area with more
varied plants.  It's the plants for the forebay that concern me most,
because the pipe from the street will empty onto it, and there isn't
much room to slow down the water.  From the forebay, it goes through an
underground pipe into the root zone of the main section.

A number of people have suggested using narrow-leaved cattails, which
are salt-tolerant, flood-tolerant, and have been used for various kinds
of phytoremediation, and seem to be spreading along the ditches beside
highways.

* What I'd like to know about cattails is whether they can survive a
summer drought without watering.

How deep is their root system?  They grow in sandy soil, but would it
help to add organic matter?

Secondly, the water from the street is going to be that filthy dark gray
color that you see on snow on city streets, and apparently there is
quite a lot of grit and finer sediment that has to be cleaned out,
perhaps several times a year.  So,

* Can you cut back cattails several times a year, in order to get in and
shovel off the sediment?  How do they look after being cut back?

*Switch grass (Panicum virgatum) seems to tolerate salt and heavy
metals, as well as brief periods of flooding.  Do you see it growing
together with cattails?  I'd like to create some semblance of a natural
community, and I need a plant to bridge the transition to the drier soil
on the berm around the forebay.

Thanks again.
Louisa