[PCA] Post NY Times moss article

Craig Tufts TUFTS at nwf.org
Wed Dec 1 13:21:25 CST 2004

Fred:

Could you tell me a little more about the Center for Sustainable
Resources? I tried googling this title and didn't come up with
any further information right away. I didn't sense that the concern for
possible overharvesting of an often slow-growing resource
was inflammatory and would like to know about how the article was
erroneous. And I am a skeptic about any group using what sounds like
resource conserving wording when they may be fronting for something
quite the opposite.

Thanks.

Craig Tufts

>>> "Center for Sustainable Resources"
<sustainableresources at hotmail.com> 12/1/2004 12:20:44 PM >>>

The article is erroneous and inflamatory. Moss here covers anything
left
laying in the woods on cove sites within two years. I am glad someone
is
getting some use out of the stuff. Removing it at times is natural
simulating animal impact we no longer have. It opens the soil and
organic
surfaces up to air and allows other plants to germinate. Fred Hays

>From: Patricia_Ford at fws.gov
>To: native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org
>Subject: [PCA] Post NY Times moss article
>Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:28:43 -0500
>
>Please post:
>
>Attached is an article from today's NY Times science section (Nov.
30,
>2004). The original article in the paper has a couple of good photos.
It's
>a fair assessment of very complex issue.
>
>(See attached file: Centennial forest fest is planned, Union
Democrat,