[MPWG] ginseng in the news

Susan Leopold susan at unitedplantsavers.org
Fri Sep 6 13:55:04 CDT 2013

Thanks Gena...

My suggestion is that since the Park Service and the US forest Service have the largest protected areas of ginseng populations that they consider managing these populations as a source for those looking for local seeds. This has been a suggestion of the Fish and Wildlife services.... for years and the idea behind the petition is to show states and FWS that the public cares and supports ginseng conservation efforts...

Ginseng is already being farmed in Wisconsin, Canada and in China and its those seeds that we do not want contaminating the Appalachian ginseng that is so priced for its wild character and medicinal value.... Please see the UpS website www.unitedplantsavers.org for links to research on why we need local seeds sources and to protect wild regional populations, specifically the work of Dr. Marla McIntosh out of the University of Maryland and her co-researchers...

Ensuring Sustainability

FWS reports that Forest Service and National Park Service officials have increased enforcement efforts to curtail illegal harvesting. Officials have increased marking of wild ginseng roots with permanent markers like colored dyes to detect illegally harvested roots.

FWS also identifies a number of future actions "to continue to minimize the impact of harvest of ginseng for international trade." These actions include:
supporting efforts in Vermont to delay the start of the harvest season until Sept. 1 for the 2014 season
exploring strategies to reduce illegal harvesting
investigating seed collection and the establishment of regional seed banks
exploring the implementation of a standard to convert wet root weight to dry root weight
investigating how wild-simulated roots can be reported separately from wild roots in annual reports so that the impact of harvests on wild populations and the status of the species can better be assessed

Susan Leopold, PhD
Executive Director, UpS
703-667-0208
susan at unitedplantsavers.org