[MPWG] ginseng in the news

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 13:32:03 CDT 2013

Dear All:

I have appreciated all the insight and information from the recent

Down here in Texas, I have no experience with ginseng cultivation or
harvest issues.  I hope the public will recognize that the news cast is, by
definition, the opinion of a few people and does not constitute
comprehensive coverage.

I am much more concerned about the petition being circulated by United
Plant Savers, calling on the federal government to take control of wild
ginseng.  From the petition:

" It has become very apparent that there are very limited sources of local
seeds and we ask that the USDA, U.S. Fish and Wildlife and the U.S. Forest
Service work together to Save American Ginseng by investing in programs
that establish seed banks for local supply of regional seed source."

The USDA, headed by Monsanto, factory farm and biotech proponent Tom
Vilsack (specifically included among the addressees),  is the last
organization I want involved with controlling genetic resources of
medicinal plants.  Traditional herbal knowledge is regularly being mined by
the biotech industry in order to genetically engineer medicinal plants with
increased concentration of active ingredients (for conversion into patented
drugs) and/or other genetic manipulations to render their cultivation more
attractive to the agro-industrial complex.

I feel people are signing on to this petition simply because they want to
voice support for ginseng and are not giving much thought to the merit of
the proposed solution.  I am at a loss to understand why United Plant
Savers wants to turn genetic control of this wild plant over to the federal
government.  I feel the petition, more so than the broadcast, stands to
create the appearance of consensus and widespread support for federal
control.

I hope Susan will address this and the other concerns expressed in this
thread.

I thank Robin for voicing her opinions about individual vs. government
control as well.   Do we need to start another petition?

Gena