[MPWG] Fw: [PCA] NEWS: The Pawpaw: Foraging For America's Forgotten Fruit

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Sep 30 08:40:20 CDT 2011

Apologies for cross postings, but the message on paw paw came out over the
native plant list and it is medicinal, too - so I thought this listserve
would enjoy the story/article below.

Today's pop quiz...can you name any of its many medicinal uses?  My
favorite (as a mom) is the lice remedy - I'm not sure it's made anymore
though.

Have a good weekend,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife Service
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 09/30/2011 09:33
AM -----

Olivia Kwong <plant at plantconservation.org>
Sent by: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
09/30/2011 09:27 AM

native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[PCA] NEWS: The Pawpaw: Foraging For America's Forgotten Fruit

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/09/29/140894570/the-pawpaw-foraging-for-americas-forgotten-fruit?sc=fb&cc=fp

The Pawpaw: Foraging For America's Forgotten Fruit
by Allison Aubrey

So what the heck is a pawpaw?

Recently, I heard about a secret snack. Kayakers who paddle the waters
near Washington, D.C., told me about a mango-like fruit that grows along
the banks of the Potomac -- a speckled and homely skin that hides a tasty
treat.

See the link above for the full article text, video clip, and listen to
the story.

Disclaimer
Posts on this list reflect only the opinion of the individual who is
posting the message; they are not official opinions or positions of the
Plant Conservation Alliance.

To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
native-plants-request at lists.plantconservation.org with the word
"unsubscribe" in the subject line.