[MPWG] new guidelines for certified organic wild crops

Penny's Pine Nuts penny at pinenut.com
Mon May 9 12:45:40 CDT 2011

Patricia,
These were our comments:
http://pinenut.com/blog/blog1.php?title=wild-crop-harvesting-comments-guidelines-for-wild-crops-harvestingnop-5021-ams-nop-10-0048&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

IFCAE also submitted comments that helped shaped the USDA's understanding of wild crops. I think AHPA submitted, great comments, too.

I was very pleased with the "no clear cutting" and that harvesters must interviewed by the certifier. We thought that was huge!   The USDA made it very clear that the natural habitat must be improved or at least not damaged by wild harvesting. I think the USDA stepped up to the plate on certified organic wild crops albeit, we did ask for restoration with eco-type seeds or cuttings and were turned down on that.

Penny