[MPWG] need info on juniper berries large spiked ones one on flat cedar looking leaves

Beth Judy beth.judyjudyjudy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:57:17 CDT 2011

Here is "The Plant Detective" radio show's short script describing some
medicinal uses of juniper in a nutshell.
www.floradelaterre.com/MontanaPublic Radio. (Note: The script is
written from the perspective of Flora
Delaterre, a fictional narrator.)

 <<I’m skiing in Finland--past a juniper tree. For ages, people in
northlands around the globe’ve used juniper medicinally--the needles and
bluish berries. Northern native Americans treated themselves and their
horses with juniper tea and smoke, and sometimes chewed the cones, for cold,
flu, digestion, and childbirth. The berries’re disinfectant and the leaves,
astringent. Today, juniper’s mainly a warming anti-inflammatory for painful
joints and muscles. It aids urinary tract issues too. Europeans made a
juniper-based diuretic, “ginevre”—shortened later to “gin.” The Finns love
juniper beer. But if you’re pregnant or kidney-compromised, avoid juniper.
The tree’s sacred in many cultures, maybe because it lives long, stays
green, and smells so good. >>

--
Beth Judy
www.floradelaterre.com