[MPWG] need info on juniper berries / you are right it is Chamacyparis!

rabiah al nur rabiah_sol at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:16:04 CDT 2011

Thank you it is Chamacyparis! I live in NO VA.  Now I can see what can be used for if anything.

Rabiah Al Nur Spring of Light rabiah_sol at hotmail.com

Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 21:36:22 -0400
From: moonbranch at earthlink.net
To: mpwg at lists.plantconservation.org
Subject: Re: [MPWG] need info on juniper berries large spiked ones one on flat cedar looking leaves

Without seeing the plant it's hard to tell, but the "flat" leaves and "spiked" berries make me wonder. You may have a Chamaecyparis and not a Juniperus. Upon closer inspection, juniper leaves are actually a bit rounded with berries rounder than spiked, generally.

These two images from the USDA PLANTS database show two juniperus species that are fairly illustrative of the genus:

Chamaecyparis generally look more like this:

Without seeing the plant or knowing where you live that's about the best I can do. Hope that helps!
-Robin