[MPWG] Canada/United States Greenhouse certification program - This is not the White List

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Oct 27 10:01:47 CDT 2010

So, a couple more clarifications, thanks to listserve members:

--------------------------

Canada/United States Greenhouse certification program:
It should also be noted that this program appears to be about expediting
the movement of plants that meet certain criteria, but it does not mean
that plants failing to meet those criteria are barred from import, just
that there is a more lengthy process for their import.

About the White List:  NOTE: The white list and the greenhouse
certification program are two different things.

Both Canada and the US are working on improving their management of
introduced/invasive plants and plant pests.  The coordination is not as
close as earlier postings might indicate.  CFIA/Canada appear to be
further along in the rulemaking process.  Yes, the "white" list would
apply primarily to issues of whether the plant is invasive; concerns about
its origin relate largely to possible pest/pathogen contamination (moving
plants is one of the "best" pathways for transporting arthropods and
especially pathogens to new regions).

US - USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is approaching
finalization of a regulation under which it would begin designating plant
species as acceptable for import - or not.  This is the NAPPRA proposal,
put out for comment in summer 2009.  Under this proposal, APHIS would
temporarily prohibit importation of plant taxa that it thought - based on
preliminary scientific data and evaluation - were a risk for invasiveness.
 [NAPPRA means Not Authorized for Importation Pending Pest Risk
Assessment]  APHIS has drawn up a preliminary list of plant taxa that it
considers qualify for NAPPRA category, and this list will be published
when it finalizes the NAPPRA rule.  That is supposed to occur in
December/January, according to my most recent information.

APHIS has not shared the list of proposed NAPPRA plants (or pests).  It
has been using one or more weediness screening tools, developed from the
Western Australia methodology.  I hope they will describe their
methodology in detail when they issue the rule.

--------------------------

Also for your information, the Plant Conservation Alliance hosts a
listserve devoted exclusively to invasive plants, the Alien Plant Working
Group listserve (www.nps.gov/plants/alien/maillist.htm).  There is an
excellent array of expertise on that list that can elucidate issues such
as the "White List." I encourage you to consider joining this list as
well. Generally speaking, topics are not cross-posted (although where I
see cross-cutting issues, I do try to cross-post messages both lists).

Thank you,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>