[MPWG] Fw: Greenhouse Certification Program

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Oct 27 08:30:44 CDT 2010

Well, the "White List" discussions this week have been interesting to say
the least.

The information below on the Canadian/US greenhouse certification program
should better inform our understanding of this topic. Here are some key
points:
It's primarily about pest management - not an invasive issue.
This is specifically regarding exchange of nursery material between the US
and Canada.
It's an EXISTING program that is being changed.
The program has existed for more than a decade.
The explanation and announcement from USDA are included below.
NOTE that the lists are not final (i.e., the plants currently in those
lists may change).

This frame of reference should allow you to better understand and respond
to the proposed program change. I encourage you to submit substantive
comments directly to <michael.d.ward at aphis.usda.gov>.  Please be sure to
share this information with others.

As an aside, I am surprised and disappointed at the nature of some of the
discussion that took place before we had the information to fully
understand it.  The goal of this listserve is not to foment hysteria or
deride and find fault in various sectors of the plant world, but to share
and discussion information in a productive manner. Offensive, derisive,
and combative discussions aimed at any of our membership are not
acceptable.  I have a handful of people (a few of which are listserve
members) to thank for asking good questions and helping me pull this
information together amidst my already heavy workload this week.  Thank
you.

In the future, let's be more proactive and less reactive in our analysis
of issues.

Sincerely,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Greenhouse Certification Program

In sum:

The Canadian/US greenhouse certification program is being changed.  The
primary change will be an approved list of plants as opposed to the
current disapproved list.   This went out for industry comment on 9/17.
The details:

The United States Department of Agriculture Animal (USDA) and Plant Health
Inspection Service is committed to stakeholder consultations as a valued
aid to effective decision-making. The USDA is notifying United States
stakeholders of planned changes to the Canada/United States Greenhouse
Certification Program (GCP) and to solicit stakeholder input on the
contents of an authorized plant list that will replace the
list of plants currently excluded from the program.

Please distribute this material among your associations and their members
to reach the broadest cross section of traditional and non-traditional
stakeholders. We encourage you to take the time to review the consultation
material and advise your associations and their members to do the same. We
ask that you, your associations and their members please send comments to
michael.d.ward at aphis.usda.gov  and include the phrase "GCP comments" in
the subject line of the email, prior to October 31, 2010.

Background

The Greenhouse Certification Program (GCP) is a bilateral program designed
to facilitate the movement of low phytosanitary risk,greenhouse-grown
plants between Canada and the United States. Facilities participating in
the GCP implement measures to ensure that eligible plants are grown,
stored, packed and shipped free of regulated pests of concern for the
receiving country. In return, facilities in
compliance with the GCP have increased flexibility when shipping. In the
context of the GCP, greenhouse-grown plants are those plants commonly
known and recognized as indoor foliage and flowering plants and those
categorized as bedding plants intended for planting either indoors or
outdoors.

It is recognized that due to varying climatic conditions between Canada
and the United States not all plants produced under the GCP are produced
in traditional greenhouses. Many plants may not be able to survive
outdoors in cooler regions of Canada and the United States but may
establish outdoors in warmer areas of the United States.

Current Status

Currently, the GCP contains lists of plants that cannot be certified under
the program. The use of ?excluded plant lists? has proven to be
problematic in that it causes ambiguity and may lead to inconsistencies in
its interpretation and/or application. A copy of the ?excluded plant list?
that applies to U.S. greenhouses may be found in the document at this
link:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/acns/downloads/canadian_greenhouse.pdf

Planned Change

The GCP is being amended and one of the significant changes to the program
is to replace the list of excluded plants with a list of plants which are
approved under the program.  The use an ?authorized plant list? will
increase program clarity and improve program compliance. The authorized
plant list is being developed to include as many low phytosanitary risk
greenhouse plants as possible. The list will include most greenhouse
plants that currently move in trade between Canada and the United States
under the GCP. The authorized plant list will clearly state which plants
will be eligible under the GCP in both Canada and the United States. The
same list will be used in both countries.

The authorized plant list will include two types of plants - those that
pose very little phytosanitary risk and those with risk mitigation
measures that reduce their phytosanitary risk to a very low level. When
risk mitigation measures are required, the specific measure(s)they will be
identified in association with the specific plant on the authorized plant
list. Examples of possible risk mitigation measures include requiring
propagation from seed or tissue culture or ensuring that a particular
plant is grown exclusively in greenhouses.

In recognition of changing trade patterns and changing risk
levels,protocols have been developed to allow for the amendment of the
authorized plant list. Participating facilities may request additions to
the authorized plant list. The request will undergo a joint Canada/ United
States evaluation and, if approved, the plant will be added to the list.
If phytosanitary conditions change so that it becomes necessary to remove
a plant from the authorized plant list, this decision will be conveyed to
participating facilities in a timely manner.

Attached you will find:
Proposed Approved Plant List by Family
Proposed Approved Plant List by Genus
Protocol to Request Additions to the GCP Authorized Plant List
Application for the Addition to the GCP Authorized Plant List
Protocol to Remove Plants from the GCP Authorized Plant List

Michael D. Ward
Senior Accreditation Projects Manager
USDA-APHIS-PPQ
michael.d.ward at aphis.usda.gov