[MPWG] White List

Jean Giblette hfg at capital.net
Mon Oct 25 14:27:10 CDT 2010

While nursery people and landscapers have been the targets of
nativist criticism lately, notably Douglas W. Tallamy's Bringing
Nature Home, we depend on nursery/seed companies as key allies in the
effort to establish an authentic, efficacious practice of plant
medicine in North America.  I'm thinking especially of our expert and
hard-working colleagues Richo Cech and Conrad Richter.  We have been
working with them for 20 years now, while traditional east Asian
medicine with its long-standing and vast empirical records (AND its
plant species, many of which are close analogs of our own), have
become assimilated into American society.  In other words, we need
the Chinese scholarship and to learn from their plants in order to
develop our own system that transcends the drug model.

Responsible plant importers deserve our continued support just as
much as do our local farmers.  Do you think they're unrelated?  Seems
to me the White List is yet another variation on a theme, which
includes the NAIS (National Animal Identification System), the state
and FDA-led campaigns against raw milk, the noxious S510 "Food
Safety" bill pending in the Senate.  This is classic monopolistic
behavior, the consolidation of power unchecked by anti-trust
legislation, by which large corporate interests use the federal
government as an agent to eliminate the competition.

Any pro-social cover story such as "food safety" or "prevention of
contamination" is increasingly thinly veiled as more and more people
catch on to the underlying dynamic.  The consolidation is vertically
integrated:  we get sick from industrial food, then they "treat" us
with industrial medicine while cleaning out our bank accounts.  The
Big Pharma dinosaur has the European herbalists in a twist (ref. the
EU Traditional Herbal Medicinal Products Directive), is North America
next?

Jean Giblette, Owner
HIGH FALLS GARDENS
Box 125 Philmont NY 12565