[MPWG] Epimedium research

Pat Fleming pat at wylde.gn.apc.org
Sat Jan 30 10:31:13 CST 2010

Hello,

I am a Botanical Conservation Masters student based in Plymouth, UK,
researching identification and conservation issues related to the
Epimedium species as used in traditional chinese medicine,
collectively known as Herba Epimedii. The species list includes:

E. brevicornu Maxim. (note - the Latin name of this is widely
misspelt, including in the Chinese Materia Medica.)
E. sagittatum (Sieb.& Zucc.) Maxim.
E. pubescens Maxim.
E. wushanense T.S.Ying
E. koreanum Nakai
E. acuminatum Franch.
E. grandiflorum Morren. var. thunbergianum (Miq.) Nakai III  (from
Japan but used more widely in the US than China.)
We're especially investigating verification of the correct species
through marker compounds and possibly DNA, to help identify
substitutions and to aid traceability. I'd appreciate hearing from
anyone with any working knowledge, experience, links etc. relating to
this group of plants. I'm particularly interested in any cultivation
of these species being done for medicine supply purposes. They are
wild-harvested in China for TCM supply. (I don't know about Japan.)
I'm working on this project in conjunction with Kew Gardens.

Any responses much appreciated.

Pat Fleming

School of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, University of Plymouth,
UK.