[MPWG] Food For Thought: 21st Century Perspectives on Ethnobotany, 24-25 September 2010, NMNH

Emanuela Appetiti ceo at medicaltraditions.org
Sun Aug 22 17:21:26 CDT 2010

THE NINTH ANNUAL SMITHSONIAN BOTANICAL SYMPOSIUM, SEPTEMBER 24-25,
2010

Hosted by the Departments of Botany and Anthropology, NMNH

In
collaboration with the United States Botanic Garden

Supported by the
Cuatrecasas Family Foundation

_FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 21ST CENTURY PERSPECTIVES
ON ETHNOBOTANY_

People are dependent upon plants for food, clothing,
medicine, fuel and other necessities of life. Humans and plants have
interacted for as long as humans have existed, but our relationship is not
static. Since the advent of agriculture we have exerted evolutionary
pressure on plants that are of importance to us. Indigenous and
industrialized societies have interacted with plants in their environments
and influenced not only crop plants, but also cultural landscapes. The
Symposium will examine the 21st century transformation of the study of
interactions between plants and people. The invited speakers will cover a
wide range of topics: from the role molecular biology now has in
elucidating crop domestication to the ways in which peoples across myriad
ecosystems interact with specific plants and landscapes.

SPEAKERS

* Ruth
Defries
Columbia University

* Kenneth M. Olsen
Washington University in
St. Louis

* Eve Emshwiller
University of Wisconsin

* Torben Rick
National
Museum of Natural History

* Cameron L. McNeil
Lehman College, The City
University of New York

* Julie Velásquez Runk
University of Georgia

*
Allison Miller
St. Louis University

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 6:00 P.M. - 8:30
P.M.

Opening Reception, The United States Botanic Garden

SATURDAY,
SEPTEMBER 25, 8:30 A.M. - 5:45 P.M.

Lectures and Discussion, Baird
Auditorium, NMNH

5:45 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.

Reception and Dinner, Museum
Rotunda, NMNH
REGISTRER ONLINE HERE:
http://botany.si.edu/sbs

Thanks for
circulating this announcement among colleagues and students, and hope to
meet you there!

Best wishes,

Emanuela Appetiti

 [1]