[MPWG] Question: Production Plantations in Poland - Hamamelis virginiana [trade data & issue of wild American harvest]

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jul 17 12:27:45 CDT 2009

Some food for thought during my lunch break...on two points: trade data
and the issue of wild American harvest

Trade data!?!?
I think you are asking for way too much here!  I'm not kidding - trade
data on most plants is HARD TO COME BY!  And, then try to get data on
medicinals and you are asking for the world!  I have to analyze trade data
a lot - only I'm usually trying to get info on what's leaving the U.S.  I
have some ideas and hope that some of our seasoned MPWG members might also
chime in.

For CITES-listed medicinals

According to CITES World Newsletter (1), about 35,000 plant species are
used for medicinal purposes worldwide and, as of 2001, more than 200
medicinal plants were CITES-listed.  A list of plant species that are
traded for medicinal purposes was compiled in 2002 (2).

CITES maintains its trade data online, at: .  You can find out which
countries are the importers and exporters, and how much they're trading.

To do a CITES-trade search
Go to: <www.unep-wcmc.org/citestrade/trade.cfm>
- You fill out the requested info - your name, etc. - because they like to
see how the database is being used.
- You can search for one species at a time or by genus or family.
- It will take you step by step thru the process.
-The trade data can be confusing but there there is an online guide on how
to read it.

For more U.S.-specific info, as of 1999, there were at least 175 species
of North American native plants for nonprescription medicinals marketed in
domestically, with more than 140 North American native herbs in herbal
products and phytomedicines internationally (3).  Also, our friends at
HerbalGram publish top sales info each year - although a quick search and
I can't see exactly which is the most recent issue on the topic.

(1) CITES World  Newsletter - Significant trade in medicinal plants
http://www.cites.org/eng/news/world/10.pdf

        (2) List Of Species Traded For Medicinal Purposes
http://www.cites.org/eng/com/PC/12/E-PC12-12-01-02.pdf

(3) Medicine from U.S. Wildlands: An Assessment of Native Plant Species
Harvested in the United States for Medicinal Use and Trade and Evaluation
of the Conservation and Management Implications
http://www.nps.gov/plants/MEDICINAL/pubs/traffic.htm

Customs

        Tracks imports only.  If you have a customs code, you can search
the Customs database - but I can't seem to find that search engine right
now.

USDA

Requires phytosanitary certificates for just about all plant material
entering the country.  I heard they were going to automate their system,
but not sure if that happened yet.

Issue of Wild American Harvest
You wonder if wild-harvest of American species is an issue, when needs are
being meet by imports - well....How much of our needs are really being met
by these imports?  And how much of our needs are not being met, simply
because the market has not been developed?

The U.S. is missing out on opportunities when it comes to our native
medicinal plants.  For instance, some wild-harvested plants are actually
leaving the U.S. as raw materials because there is no market for them
here.  And then, we buy some of those materials right back from the guys
who bought them and turned into finished products.  Many of you know what
the mark-up is from raw materials to finished products - it's pretty
substantial - esp. when you are talking about plant materials, which are
generally under-valued resources as raw materials.

Now, this is not to say that I'm not concerned about the impact of
wild-harvesting on medicinal plants.  Because I am.  So I should say that
my discussion here is predicated on the "wise use of resources" (a whole
'nother conversation).  More and more we have come to understand that wise
use of resources comes from those who have a vested interest in them.
Medicinal plant collection is part of our culture, our heritage -
medicinal plants are important to livelihoods and day-to-day health needs
of many Americans.  I am convinced that the further development of U.S.
cottage industries, based on wise use of resources, would be an excellent
avenue for conserving our native medicinal plants and their habitats -
that and the cessation of habitat destruction (but that's a whole 'nother
conversation, too).

What if the medicinal plant market were developed here in the U.S. so that
we didn't export the raw materials, but actually created the value-added
products - and that money went back to the stewards of the resources? What
if we were able to satisfy more of our domestic needs for plants with
sustainably-sourced (cultivated or wild-crafted) materials from our own
backyards (or, backwoods)?   Imagine.

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Goods From The Woods <penny at pinenut.com>
Sent by: mpwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
07/17/2009 11:41 AM

mpwg at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[MPWG] Question: Production Plantations in Poland - Hamamelis   virginiana

Hamamelis virginiana is an indigenous plant to the U.S. and we are USDA
certified organic wild crop producers of the species.
I recently did a survey of on line botanical sellers offering certified
witch hazel and found it was all coming out of Poland.
When I inquired with a major US broker, I was told they had huge
plantations of it in Poland.
I emailed several Polish exporters, the  agricultural agencies and the
Consulate to no avail.
Could anyone assist in locating these "huge organic certified Polish
plantations?"

As an aside, many of common native American species are on the U.S.
certified organic market as Polish or Hungarian imports. While there
does seem to be a good deal of organic agriculture producing medicinal
plants in Poland, I am surprised by the sheer number of native
medicinal species reported as organically cultivated  in Poland and
imported to the U.S. as organic material. The certified organic market
is THE market for native botanicals.

Thus, ny second question:  Is there any research on U.S. imports of
medicinal plants. I have used several trade data bases both public and
private search services without much luck.  Seeing that the U.S. market
for medicinal plants is being met with so many imported botanicals, it
gives me pause to think about our need to consider American medicinal
species harvest safeguards.  What if it not an issue, as the market
might be met by imports, rather than wild American harvest?

Thank you,
Penny Frazier
A Wild Crops Farm

with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc.
reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The
information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a
substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific
medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare
information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by
the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts
do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant
Conservation Alliance.