[MPWG] Question: Production Plantations in Poland - Hamamelis virginiana

Goods From The Woods penny at pinenut.com
Fri Jul 17 10:41:19 CDT 2009

Hamamelis virginiana is an indigenous plant to the U.S. and we are USDA
certified organic wild crop producers of the species.
I recently did a survey of on line botanical sellers offering certified
witch hazel and found it was all coming out of Poland.
When I inquired with a major US broker, I was told they had huge
plantations of it in Poland.
I emailed several Polish exporters, the  agricultural agencies and the
Consulate to no avail.
Could anyone assist in locating these "huge organic certified Polish
plantations?"

As an aside, many of common native American species are on the U.S.
certified organic market as Polish or Hungarian imports. While there
does seem to be a good deal of organic agriculture producing medicinal
plants in Poland, I am surprised by the sheer number of native
medicinal species reported as organically cultivated  in Poland and
imported to the U.S. as organic material. The certified organic market
is THE market for native botanicals.

Thus, ny second question:  Is there any research on U.S. imports of
medicinal plants. I have used several trade data bases both public and
private search services without much luck.  Seeing that the U.S. market
for medicinal plants is being met with so many imported botanicals, it
gives me pause to think about our need to consider American medicinal
species harvest safeguards.  What if it not an issue, as the market
might be met by imports, rather than wild American harvest?

Thank you,
Penny Frazier
A Wild Crops Farm