[MPWG] Delaware and Otsego County National HerbDay - July 27th - Harmony Hill Retreat Center - East Meridith, New York

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Jul 9 10:33:23 CDT 2008

In this email...

About the Delaware and Otsego County National HerbDay
HerbDay Agenda
About National HerbDay

About the Delaware and Otsego County National HerbDay

National Event held locally in its 3rd consecutive year, the Delaware and
Otsego County National HerbDay to be held on July 27th at Harmony Hill
Retreat Center in East Meredith, rain or shine.

This year, HerbDay will continue with its message - to celebrate the
importance of Herbs and Herbalism with educational public activities.
However, organizers say that what is most relevant this year is the
sharing of each others ideas on local and environmental issues. An Herbal
Exchange Day where all participants will be able to voice their input
towards everyone's learning on this day. The event is free of charge and
open to the public.

?We?re hoping to draw neighbors and friends such as farmers, growers,
teachers, environmentalists, herbalists, alternative practitioners, and
most especially community elders, as they are the people who have much
past knowledge in how to live simply and efficiently?, said Jana Batey and
Chris Rosenthal, owners of Harmony Hill. ?We hope to see vacationers and
travelers as well?.

The day will open with a community inspired lunch where everyone is asked
to bring a dish to pass and the recipe to share. This will go from noon
till 1 p.m. Then, there will be 3 sets of Teaching Circles planned, the
first of which will gather at 1:30, next at 3:15 and the last one starts
at 4:30. ?Though there are 5 to 6 organized Teaching Circles, new ones can
always be added depending on participants needs and are focused around
self-sufficiency in our wellness, nature stewarding and conservation,
permaculture workings and, where do we begin to make a difference for our
world, today ?, added Chris.

Bring a chair or cushion to sit on and join us as we allow Nature to be
our guide for the healing of each other and of our Earth.
Learn from each other in a forum style teaching circles for a sharing of
all our experiences. There will be a $5 parking fee.
Register by emailing chris at harmonyhillretreat.com or call her at
607-278-6609 but this is not necessary.

HerbDay Agenda
12 to 1 p.m.
Lunch - dish to pass and recipe to share
1:00 to 1:30 p.m.
Formation of First Set of Teaching Circles
1:30 to 3:00 p.m. Teaching Circles
Wild Crafting Concepts with Judy Millar
Composting for Our Planet (includes Humanure) with Alice Bleu
Herbs as Therapeutic Foods with Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower
3:15 to 4:15 p.m.
Plant Identification Walks
with various teachers breaking up into small groups
4:15 to 4:30 p.m.
Formation of Second Set of Teaching Circles
4:30 to 6:00 p.m. Teaching Circles
Permaculture with Daniel Blacklock
Herbal Medicine Cabinet with Sharon Hubbs-Kreft
Flower and Insect Interdependence with Bill Schnippert
6:00 to 6:15 Closing Circle

About National HerbDay

http://www.herbday.org/
This year, the third annual national HerbDay will be celebrated on October
11, 2008.  HerbDay is a coordinated series of independently produced
public educational events celebrating the importance of herbs and
herbalism in the U.S. and abroad!  Inspired and organized by the HerbDay
Coalition, a coalition of non-profit herbal organizations, the Coalition
encourages herbalists, herb enthusiasts, the natural products industry,
herbal educators, and lovers of herbal medicines from all walks of life
and all over the country celebrated the importance of botanicals in human
health.

"We know it's kind of early on. But here in upstate New York, summer is
bursting with life. Plus, its much warmer than Autumn. So we have HerbDay
here when the weather is much kinder to us ..."

Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower, R.N., Herbalist
TheHerbalNurses?
10517 Turnpike Rd.
East Meredith, NY 13757