[MPWG] wildharvesting and roadbuilding

MoonBranch Botanicals moonbranch at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 24 12:21:12 CST 2008

It appears to me that the Democrats' in Congress approach to deal with wildharvesting issues on public lands is to pave over them....

From: http://www.grahamstar.com/topstory.html

Graham County's top story
Congressman Shuler gets money for major road project in county

By James Budd

A long-dormant road project got a jumpstart last week when Congressman Heath Shuler announced Congress has approved $735,000 in this year’s budget for preliminary work on an extension of the Cherohala Skyway to U.S. 129.
The 51-mile Skyway, which is N.C. 143, connects Graham County with Tellico Plains, Tenn. and draws tourists to the region because of the road’s scenic mountain views as it climbs more than a mile high. The road was finished in 1996.
The project would improve the section of N.C. 143 from the West Buffalo Creek bridge, near the end of the Skyway, to U.S. 129 in Robbinsville, according to Nicole Burris, a public information officer with the North Carolina Department of Transportation.
Shuler said Tuesday he secured the funding to help the county’s economy.
"This project is important to ensure that Graham County sees the full economic benefit of the Cherohala Skyway, most of which has thus far gone to Tellico, Tenn.," Shuler said. "I was proud to be able to secure this important funding for Graham County and will continue working hard to make sure the voice of the people of Graham County is heard in Congress."
Burris said the $13 million project isn’t set for construction in the state’s Transportation Improvement Plan until 2013.
"Construction is dependent on getting the funds," Burris said. "This is a great start."
Burris said the money will be used to start the planning and design phase.
County Manager Lynn Cody, who is also the chairman of the commission, said he got the announcement late last week.
"It’s good news," Cody said. "I am real pleased we got the money. They called me from his (Shuler’s) office."

Robin Alton Suggs
MoonBranch Botanicals
5294 Yellow Creek Road
Robbinsville, North Carolina 28771
USA

Telephone: 828.479.2788
moonbranch at earthlink.net
www.moonbranch.com

Member:
American Herbalist Guild
Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project; Farm Partner
Co-op America
Green Products Alliance
National Network of Forest Practitioners
North Carolina Consortium on Natural Medicines
North Carolina Goodness Grows/NCDA&CS
North Carolina Natural Products Association
Southwestern North Carolina RC&D Council
United Plant Savers

"We have no choice but to respect that which sustains us."