[MPWG] Fw: Blog on "biodiversity salvage" sampling

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon May 14 10:17:12 CDT 2007

Forwarded for your information....
-Patricia

-----Original Message-----
From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
[mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Curtis Clark
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:59 PM
To: TAXACOM
Subject: Re: Blog on "biodiversity salvage" sampling

On 2007-05-12 05:33, Bob Mesibov wrote:
> Impressed by Rod Page's "rants on ants" blog, I've started one on
> biodiversity salvage:
>
> http://biodiversitysalvage.blogspot.com

"Biodiversity salvage" is already a lucrative job for people who sell
orchids and cacti. Go into an area slated to be "developed", remove all
the orchids or cacti, and sell them to collectors to finance the
expedition. At one end of the continuum are systematists who gather data
at the same time. At the other end are groups who pay the landowner for
"salvage" rights, and that payment is enough to make an unprofitable
conversion of tropical forest to grazing land suddenly profitable.

I don't know anything about this practice directly. over the years I've
"heard stories", but I can't vouch for any of them.

--
Curtis Clark            http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Director, I&IT Web Development             +1 909 979 6371