[MPWG] Plant Rescue/Salvage across the U.S.

Paula Perretty perretty at sonic.net
Tue Jun 5 10:40:50 CDT 2007

Hi,
I worked in the environmental field as a monitor/inspector for large linear projects during construction and the afterward mitigation/restoration.
I do agree that habitat should not be disturbed in the first place - unfortunately this is not realistic, especially with the new eminent domain laws and the need to bring water/sewage treatment and the like to what seems to be ever growing communities - here and throughout the world.
So it all depends on the State (red or blue) County, City, the community, stakeholders and the grassroots' groups in that community.
This is my take - you need to be on top of the projects during the assessment phase.  Partner with the local Native Plant Society and other non-profit organizations.  If they have clout in the community then set up a meeting with the owner of the project.  If it's a City, County or Federal Project then getting your needs met could be much easier - depending on the political atmosphere.  Private developers are not as easy to deal with, but some are.  Remember it's all about the bid process and money, so ID the plants, birds and animals ahead of time and what needs to be done needs to be written in the contract.  Unfortunately, when the project is in construction phase, and if they are poorly managed or underbid and aren't making $$, the first two things that get compromised is safety and environmental requirements - regardless of the contract.
It is important to identify the plants that need salvaging - ahead of time.  The other two things you need is a partnership with a responsible nursery (Circuit Riders in Windsor, CA - a non-profit organization - has experience with mitigation/restoration) and a place to put the plants.  Partnering with the parks department and the local Department of Fish and Game as well as the Native Plant Society should be what one needs to find the correct habitat.  We worked on a project where we salvaged native grasses that were going to be replaced by yet another mall.  We partnered with the local state park and installed them with volunteers in an area where historically these plants were but were decimated due to non-native rooting pigs.  The pigs are gone now, the plants were installed, and they are thriving.
I am not a fan of mitigation but it depends on who does the work.  If it is just a landscape company that has no idea of the history of the area and the native plants they are dealing with, then it is a waste of tax payer $$.  I have seen so many restoration/mitigation projects that were just a complete failure.  You need to find a company that has an 80% or more survival rate.
If you need help or information Rocky Thompson of Circuit Riders, Inc (Windsor, CA) might be able to help with many phases of the or direct you to an organization that can.  If you are in the CA, OR or states in the NW Rocky Thompson might be able to assist - depending on the need - please remember that professionals in profit and non-profits would probably require compensation for consultation. With large projects the cost can be included in the contract and/or be a part of the EIR report.  Point is it is important to find a reputable environmental company and/or a non-profit that knows how to partner with all stakeholders so that the project can be a success, the mitigation, restoration, salvage also a success.  Better this than the alternative.
Paula

PS - I suspect that the reason that it was considered to dig up the CITES plants is that they weren't ID ahead of time.  The environmental firm probably had a contract for mitigating the destruction of them.  Salvaging them outside the contract protocol probably suggested "collecting" of endangered, clearly illegal.  It would also put the company in a legal pickle for many reasons - one that they might use is litigation - if someone salvaging outside the contractors or environmental company gets hurt on the construction site then they are liable.  It surly is odd, I agree - but this is what was agreed on.  This is why it is important to get all what I wrote about above, clarified and written in the contract before the project begins.  A non-profit that knows the laws, can work with all stake holders, knows when to pull the plants, how to care for them, when and where to install is essential.