[MPWG] Plant Rescue/Salvage across the U.S.

Eric T Jones etj-list at ifcae.org
Fri Jun 1 13:09:11 CDT 2007

Greater salvage opportunities/requirements would be terrific and
would be happy to sign on to a proposal of some kind allowing
salvage.  Having looked over a variety of federal planning documents
over the years it's clear that most of the time basic inventories of
the plants aren't even done, not to mention virtually zero research
on cultural impacts to contemporary human livelihoods.   Of course
such a management approach is technically illegal, but nobody calls
them out on it so there really isn't any pressure to change.  Quite a
few Forest Service managers have stated to me that it will take a
lawsuit before they change.  Their reasoning is that a lawsuit would
likely trigger greater allocation of resources to the local offices
by regional and national offices.