[MPWG] NEW RESEARCH: Comparative Analysis of Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis L.) Population Re-growth Following Human Harvest: Implications for Conservation

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Feb 12 11:07:10 CST 2007

This recently completed goldenseal research may be of interest to you.
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Albrecht, M.A., and McCarthy, B.C. 2006. Comparative analysis of
goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis L.) population re-growth following
        human harvest: implications for conservation. The American Midland
Naturalist 156(2):229-236.

Main findings:

1) Goldenseal populations wild-harvested in West Virginia and Ohio
regenerated at different rates

2) Data do SUGGEST, however, that fall harvested populations may recover
in
population size and structure at greater rates than summer harvested
populations

3) We need WAY more data to draw stronger conclusions on goldenseal
population re-growth rates

4) Need participatory research with harvesters in order to understand how
harvesters manage wild populations through selective and differential
digging.