[MPWG] Fw: Pink Lady's Slipper cultivation - Great topic

McCoy, Joe-Ann joemccoy at iastate.edu
Mon Apr 30 14:21:53 CDT 2007

The following  links may help answer the question about the fungi associated with the cultivation of Cypripedium acaule.  In addition there is a link to a Cypripedium forum where you may be able to find specific sources.

1.) Fungi associated with terrestrial orchid mycorrhizas, seeds and protocorms

Journal

Mycoscience <http://www.springerlink.com/content/108925/>

Publisher

Springer Japan

ISSN

1340-3540 (Print) 1618-2545 (Online)

Issue

Volume 37, Number 4 / December, 1996 <http://www.springerlink.com/content/t2250717554q/>

Category

Original Papers

DOI

10.1007/BF02461001

Pages

439-448

Subject Collection

Biomedical and Life Sciences <http://www.springerlink.com/content/?Subject+Group=Biomedical+and+Life+Sciences++>

SpringerLink Date

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Carla D. Zelmer1, Lisa Cuthbertson1 and Randy S. Currah1   <http://www.springerlink.com/content/761330j2hw115113/#ContactOfAuthor3#ContactOfAuthor3>

(1)

Dept. of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, CW405 Biological Sciences Bldg, T6G 2E9 Canada, Edmonton

Abstract  The identity and ecological role of fungi in the mycorrhizal roots of 25 species of mature terrestrial orchids and in 17 species of field incubated orchid seedlings were examined. Isolates of symbiotic fungi from mature orchid mycorrhizas were basidiomycetes primarily in the genera Ceratorhiza, Epulorhiza and Moniliopsis; a few unidentified taxa with clamped hyphae were also recovered. More than one taxon of peloton-forming fungus was often observed in the cleared and stained mycorrhizas. Although Ceratorhiza andEpulorhiza strains were isolated from the developing protocorms, pelotons of clamped hyphae were often presents in the cleared protocorms of several orchid species. These basidiomycetes are difficult to isolate and may be symbionts of ectotrophic plants. The higher proportion of endophytes bearing clamp connections in developing seeds than in the mycorrhizas is attributed to differences in the nutritional requirements of the fully mycotrophic protocorms and partially autotrophic plants. Most isolates of Ceratorhiza differed enzymatically from Epulorhiza in producing polyphenol oxidases. Dual cultures with thirteen orchid isolates and five non-orchid hosts showed that some taxa can form harmless associations with non-orchid hosts. It is suggested that most terrestrial orchid mycorrhizas are relatively non-specific and that the mycobionts can be saprophytes, parasites or mycorrhizal associates of other plants.

Key Words   Ceratorhiza  -  Epulorhiza  -  Moniliopsis  - orchid mycorrhizas

2.)  Vujanovic, V., M. St-Arnaud, D. Barabé and G. Thibeault. 2000. Phialocephala victorinii sp. nov. endophyte of Cypripedium parviflorum (Orchicadeae). Mycologia 92 (3) : 571-576.  71-576.

3.) http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/recreation/orchidcongress/Germination_in_Cyps.pdf

4.) http://www.uslink.com/~scl/lab.html

5.) http://www.cypripedium.de/forum/invitro.html

Good luck and please let us know how successful you are,

Joe-Ann

Joe-Ann McCoy, Ph.D.

USDA-ARS Medicinal Plant Curator

North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station

G212 Agronomy Hall

Iowa State University

Ames, Iowa 50011-1170

USA