[MPWG] Fw: Pink Lady's Slipper cultivation

David Lincicome David.Lincicome at state.tn.us
Fri Apr 27 16:03:15 CDT 2007

This recent thesis is a good overview of Cypripedium cultivation.

http://ex-epsilon.slu.se/archive/00001453/01/Cypripedium,_R%C3%A4nnb%C3%A4ck_070126.pdf

Nonetheless, I don't think it provides an answer to the posted C.
acaule question.

David Lincicome

>>> MoonBranch Botanicals <moonbranch at earthlink.net> 04/27/07 1:31 PM

Hello All, thanks for the engaging dialogue. At least now I won't have
to go into any policy charged diatribe as Bob and Tony have done an
excellent job there for us. Tony, I know now you've been hanging out
with me for too long....

Anyway, I'll address here now what little I know about pink lady's
slipper and it's place in the forest community. Apparently it is
speculated that this plant does require a symbiotic relationship with a
soil microbe or fungi to live and thrive. I'm not sure that anyone knows
what specific fungi or group of organisms play a role here. I suspect
this type of "inter-plant" relationship is far more common and complex
than we understand. At any rate from what I've heard and based on what I
have observed in the woods, pink lady's slipper is generally associated
in mixed hardwood and "yellow" or "hard" pine stands (at least in my
locale). It is speculated that the fungi or other microbes associated
with pink lady's slipper is also associated with "yellow" pines. Hence,
no pines, no microbes, no lady's slipper. An oversimplification, no
doubt.

I don't know if there is any hard reseach out there to support this, or
who would pay for it if it wasn't. Maybe we could tie lady's slipper to
Homeland Security or something....

So, without going much further , the simple question originally posed
requires a complex and somewhat tedious reply. If you did know what
species of fungi was required, where would you get it (Microbes R Us)?
And without the pines as a co-symbiot, the cultivation endeavor would be
short lived.

This example might be a "poster child" to illustrate the importance of
plant communities and biodiversity. This of  course underscores what Mr.
Hayes has spoken to in terms of development. No doubt about it though,
if we destroy enough, one day we will know everything, then what....

Robin