[MPWG] Latin and nomenclature

Elisabeth Dodinet e.dodinet at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 15 03:04:55 CDT 2006

Hello,

I think that for the area concernend the best database and book (recent and
with good thorough work on taxonomy and systematics of regional plants) is
the Flora of Pakistan (available as books and on the web through the Mobot
web site. Unfortunately not all the families ou genera have been yet
treated.
For the data in the MOBOT database, it is very useful, but in my experience
a lot of the information on the regional taxa is based on Flora of China
which for the western part of the Himalays and India is not always relevant.

You may want to check alsos Nepal check-list (also on Mobot); it is based
mostly on less recent data (and without any description), but the base
ground work is quite thorough (Hara et al. work mostly)

As already said, for somme plants the data is not consistent either due to
different taxonomic opinions or due to the dates at which the information
has been collected (opinions and data evolve also in botanic taxonomy) so
then you would need to check scientific specific publications.

In any case, since some parts of the area have not been properly treated, a
scientific identification needs to be done based on specimens and would
require for some of them expert double-check or reference to types. If this
can't be done, my opinion is that it should be stated as such with the
incertainties attached to the determination

Elisabeth Dodinet
--

Adresse de correspondance :
20 avenue de Longchamp