[MPWG] Pollinators, Roads and Corridors

Megan_Haidet at fws.gov Megan_Haidet at fws.gov
Wed Sep 6 08:28:03 CDT 2006

You may be interested in the flurry of discussion about pollinators, roads
and corridors on the main PCA list.

Here are a few of the last posts:

Some states are already pursuing Corridor for Wildlife Programs.  Of
course, safety will always be a concern.
RESEARCH is needed on behalf of pollinators, nesting birds, and small
mammals that corridors can indeed accommodate.
The FHWA wants to do more research.....but we NEED YOUR HELP.

Please note the attached one page that explains.
Please take the 4 easy steps to registering your concerns and needs for
research on corridor stewardship.  Please remember
these corridors can be homes to endangered plant species as well as
natural community remnants when less mowing occurs.

I thank you and my Natural Environment Team thanks you.  We NEED public
input to get research funding.  Good luck to us all!!!
Bonnie

Bonnie L. Harper-Lore
Restoration Ecologist
Office of Environment, HEPN-30
Federal Highway Administration
360 Jackson Street, Ste. 500
St. Paul, MN  55101
651-291-6104

Great dialogue on resource management and lack of along roadways.   Many
on this list serve are aware of new, innovative vegetation management
practices and techniques, if not practicing them.   For a number of
reasons, transportation corridor vegetation management programs are
designed without much consideration of ecological associations.  The
impact on flora and faunal relationships within parallel or transected
wildlife travel corridors is often sacrificed in the name of “safety and
liability”.  Defensible or not, perceived or real s safety and liability
issues trump natural resource protection/management practices in managed
landscapes.  As Bonnie noted, 'trees and automobile collisions ' have
dominated planning and operations.  (usually a bad thing when lawyers and
vegetation mix)

This scenario seems to be slowly changing for the better.  The linear
nature of highway systems has visibly exacerbated the spread of many
invasive plant species.    Public acceptance of the threat of invasives
and links to  transportation corridors, urban land management, development
is relatively recent.    Loss of biodiversity/habitat is a strong argument
for control and management of invasive plant communities.  This developing
consensus is significant and should be aligned with the benefits of energy
conservation to promote applied landscape ecology in general.  In this
case, the design of alternative, native species plant communities and
innovative management regimes for transportation right of ways can also
control the spread of invasives.   I'm seeing encouraging signs from
environmental and operations managers in New York State DOT Regions 2 and
5 in collaborations with private sector, universities and NGOs such as the
Adirondack Park Invasive Plant Program.    FHA and some state DOTs have
taken the lead in promotion of (ecological) roadside vegetation management
that addresses safety and biodiversity.  Implementation won't occur
overnight nor will the liability arguments be resolved any time soon.
 What "we" can do is get more of this work on the ground in the form of d
demonstration projects, field trials, project briefs and good case
studies.  The next step is to integrate the best into operational
programs.  I also believe that most all transportation professionals want
to do best they can with the resources at their disposal.  Biologists and
ecologists need to develop these new tools and help integrate them into
the system.

Paul R. Fuhrmann
ecology and environment, inc.
368 Pleasantview Drive
Lancaster, New York 14086
Tel.  716 6848060 ext. 2876
Fax. 716 684 0844
www.ene.com

This is fascinating, thank you for your interesting story of highway
mowing!

As environmental consultants, my husband and I have worked on rare
butterfly
and rare plant surveys, as well as surveys of the highly invasive species,

cogongrass.  We pay attention to what happens on roadsides.

What I have observed is that in the southeastern US, because of a
reluctance
to use burn management in these states, most of the natural areas are
grown
up so much as to be virtually devoid of native grasses and forbs.  Areas
that have not been developed, put into agriculture, silviculture, or
"improved" for grazing, are almost always overgrown and unsuitable for an
enormous diversity of grasses and grassland species that used to make the
Southeast one of the wealthiest areas in the country for biodiversity.

Looking for grassland that would support the rare Arogos Skipper, we found

almost nothing throughout the southeast, aside from a few powerline cuts.
The exception was a few beautiful wetland areas that are probably
developed
now, or will be soon, because of the change in the Corps of Engineer's
definition of what a wetland is a few years back.

In Georgia in particular, even the powerline cuts were farmed, with
legumes
and other exotics seeded in to attract deer for hunters.  Indeed, the
problem of attracting deer to roadsides may be a symptom of the lack of
open
habitat anywhere else.  Along the southeastern coastal plain, which was
historically basically a grassland/prairie ecosystem, many species which
were formerly abundant are gone and disappearing.

We have found that roadside (and powerline) mowing is very helpful for
biodiversity in that it creates grassland refugia for many species.  On
the
other hand, habitat management to promote open native grasslands would be
highly preferable to roadside mowing!

One of the primary means of spreading of Cogongrass, an exotic invasive
which is a menace to biodiversity as well as an economic menace to
silviculture and grazing, is roadside mowing.  And when roadsides are
scraped and planted with turf, the environmental damage is compounded.
 Turf
can come with cogongrass, is inherently an exotic species, and takes up
the
space that our natives might otherwise thrive in.

The DOT policy of planting wildflowers is another issue.  In Florida
roadsides are often planted with non-native wildflowers, which are pretty,

but also take the place of native species.  It is basically substituting a

wildflower farm for the natives that might otherwise grow on roadsides.
 The
wildflowers may also tend to attract wildlife, which is killed by cars.
 The
point about roadsides being a sink for wildlife is a great question.  It
seems that pollinators such as butterflies and native bees and wasps, and
their predators, such as dragonflies and birds, and grazers, such as
rodents
and deer, and other wildlife favoring open land, including armadillos, and

all of their predators, such as owls and hawks and panthers, are all
attracted to open roadsides, where they are likely to meet their death by
automobile.

It seems as though the millions of acres of roadside land could be a great

resource for biodiversity, if designed and managed properly.  However,
management would have to be done in a wise and individualized manner,
because a general prescription or policy for a large region would not work

with the variety of habitats roads traverse.  DOT certainly has the
financial resources, perhaps just not the collective will, to do this.

Maria Minno
Gainesville, FL

Megan Haidet
Communications Coordinator