[MPWG] Herbs Get Their Special Day - The Chronicle (10-12-06)

Megan_Haidet at fws.gov Megan_Haidet at fws.gov
Thu Oct 12 10:17:24 CDT 2006

Herbs Get Their Special Day

By Susan Jewell
What did you have for dinner? Perhaps it included chives, cilantro or
oregano. Maybe you ate spinach or broccoli or sipped tea. The chances are
good that you ate or drank something made from herbs. On October 14, herbs
will get some long-deserved recognition. That day has been designated
"HerbDay," with special events held around the country to highlight the
importance of herbs in our lives and throughout history.

The idea for an annual day dedicated to teaching the public about herbs
was germinated by a coalition of organizations in 2003: United Plant
Savers, American Botanical Council, American Herbal Products Association,
American Herbalists Guild, Herb Research Foundation and American Herbal
Pharmacopoeia. The group wants to promote the herbs that have given us so
much because many herbs are being forgotten as we reduce the variety of
plants we use.

For full story, see:
http://www.chroniclenewspapers.com/articles/2006/10/10/chronicle/news/news04.txt