[MPWG] Economic plant and pollinator illustration series

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Nov 13 13:49:05 CST 2006

Debra Jane Carey is a Certified Botanical Artist.  Among her endeavors is
a new series of 36 illustrations to depict economic plants and
pollinators.

Economic Plant and Pollinator Series

Chocolate and Strawberries are two important reasons for this series. We
take for granted these cultural symbols of love without realizing the
economics that bring them to our table. The fruit of the chocolate tree
cannot form without a pollinator and strawberries are big and juicy
because of a pollinator.

The objective of the Economic Plant and Pollinator series in progress is
to show the importance of plants and their pollinators in numerous ways. I
use the term economic to encompass food, spice/herb, and fodder including
plant resins, timber or medicinal.
First I wish show the plant and pollinator utilizing pre-20th century
illustration with a graphite and/or color pencil drawing and a watercolor
painting.
Second, to create storyboards of the history, personal sketches and
photographs assembled during research.
Third, to complete a narrative story explaining information uncovered
during the research.

I identified 275 plants during research. In June 2006 I began selecting 36
plants for the series utilizing seven sources. My thought process in
selection:
Encompass both longitude and latitude around the world
Plant origin reflecting distribution
Available pollination and seed dispersal research
Diversity in pollination i.e. Bee, Bat, Butterfly, Moth, Beetle, Bird,
Fly, Water or Wind
Diversity in plant families including systematics
Human history including use, cultivation or breeding.

See her website at: <http://www.interactionart.com/index.htm>.