[MPWG] Poaching, was re: ginseng/hemlock

Chip Carroll chipc at ruralaction.org
Tue Mar 7 09:28:50 CST 2006

Great comments Bob & others,

We have been working on the issue of ginseng "poaching" in Ohio for several
years now through educational efforts focused at Law Enforcement, Judges
and Prosecutors.  We were finding that all to often, even when a "poacher"
is caught, that the judge or prosecutor would take on the attitude of "it's
just a plant" and let the offender go with a slap on the wrist or less,
even when they were getting away with hundreds, perhaps thousands of
dollars worth of some ones ginseng crop.

One grower recently comments that "poaching" is something we do to eggs,
and that what is happening to many growers in the region is just outright
theft as Bob pointed out (stealing property from some ones backyard or
"back 40" ).

I thought I would share a write-up of "Key Lessons Learned" from a poaching
experience.  This is a document that was developed by a Ohio ginseng grower
after having thousands of dollars worth of root stolen from him a couple of
years ago.  Hope that some will find it helpful.  (see attached)

Chip

At 02:29 PM 3/6/2006, Bob Beyfuss wrote:
>Hi all
>I really don't think you can hide ginseng from poachers. It is like trying
>to hide the holiday presents from your teenage kids! I have thoughts on
>poaching ginseng that may be somewhat relevant to other medicinal plants.
>Bob
>
>Thoughts on Poaching Ginseng
>
>I think it is time to make the distinction between poaching and grand
>larceny. In the South and Midwest where much rural land is owned by large
>utility companies and the Federal government, hunting, fishing and poaching
>ginseng on this land have become accepted practices among some local
>residents. When the victim of poaching is a large, perhaps unknowing and
>seemingly uncaring corporate entity it is difficult for me to become too
>upset by local people harvesting a resource that they may have planted
>themselves or at least have tended over many years, especially if they have
>stewarded that resource, protecting it from deer and other threats and are
>the main reason it still exists.  I have seen ginseng patches destined for
>development successfully transplanted elsewhere on public property
>unbeknownst to the property owners. In NY when I think of poaching, I think
>about shooting an extra deer or perhaps taking a deer out of season for
>food. In many cases it does appear to be a victimless crime. (unless you
>are a deer of course!)
>
>When it comes to stealing someone's private property, almost literally from
>a back yard or adjacent to a house, then it is time to become outraged.
>There is no justification for outright thievery nor is there any excuse for
>ignoring such behavior by dealers who knowingly purchase that ginseng.  The
>NY State and most other state's ginseng regulations clearly state that wild
>ginseng may only be gathered on private property with permission of the
>property owners during the official harvest season. Diggers selling wild
>ginseng should be prepared to show proof of landowner permission when they
>sell their roots. If this means sharing some of the money from sale of the
>roots with the landowner, so be it. When one hunts and kills deer on
>someone's else's property with permission, it is traditional and proper to
>offer the landowner some of the bounty.
>
>I strongly suspect that much of what is sold today as "wild" ginseng is in
>fact "wild simulated". This is ginseng that somebody planted years ago
>either on private or public land. In some cases the seed was gathered from
>wild plants but in many cases it was purchased from elsewhere. Generations
>of diggers have nurtured this resource and in many cases have prevented it
>from being extirpated in a given area. It is time for ginseng growers and
>diggers to get rid of their presumed cover of being anonymous. If you are
>anonymous or invisible how can anyone steal from you?  If you "secretly"
>grow ginseng on your property and someone steals it from you what recourse
> [...]

Chip Carroll
NTFP Research Education & Demonstration Coordinator
Rural Action Forestry
Appalachian Forest Resource Center
33560 Beech Grove Rd.
Rutland, Ohio 45775