[MPWG] ginseng / hemlock

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 17:09:36 CST 2006

You're right about hemlock being a bad idea.  The root system is broad  and
shallow right on the surface panning out from the trunk.  Nothing  much grows
under the hemlocks, coptis maybe, partridge berry, black trumpet  shrooms,
indian pipes.  That's about it.  That's under a giant, not a  sapling.  Nothing
under the saplings.
That hemlocks are under attack is of course a good reason to try stewarding
them on your land.  Here in Central Pa at least where I am we still have a
great deal of giant grandmother/father hemlocks, let's hope it stays that  way,
cheers, Jennifer

herbalogic wrote:
I would not use Hemlock as a natural canopy for Ginseng or other  woodland
perennial propagation.
First, hemlocks give off toxins that inhibit growth of other competitive
species  within the drip line of the tree naturally. The area  directly beneath
the drip line and above the root area are usually  barren.
Secondly, Hemlocks are currently under attack by multiple insect species:
_http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/hwa/other_hemlock_pests.htm_
(http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/hwa/other_hemlock_pests.htm)