[MPWG] American Ginseng CITES Report

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Jun 9 14:59:53 CDT 2006

Bob and others,

You may already do this, but I would encourage folks to meet and share
your information with your state's Natural Heritage Program.  Each program
has slightly different priorities but their records are only as good as
the information that they are able to obtain.   From my perspective,
funding seems to be an issue - I've seen several grants tied specifically
to species that are S1 or S2, meaning that the S3s and below may not
necessarily get the proactive attention they might need.

Also, at one point, there was discussion about the possibility of setting
up NatureServe citizen science projects to help monitor native plant
species.  I'm not really sure if that idea is being pursued at this point
- but it might be worth looking into.  Here is one example of this idea in
progress...In Georgia, see: http://www.uga.edu/gpca/project6.html

Thanks,
-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>