[MPWG] American Ginseng CITES Report

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 9 10:43:32 CDT 2006

Dear List
By now you have seen the USF and W findings regarding the export of
American ginseng. I applaud the decision made and commend the USF and W
staff highly on their efforts to learn as much as possible (I also respect
their courage in seeking out diverse opinions through public hearings, I
attended one of these public meetings and watched the USF and W people put
up with much abuse and personal attacks)
However, I still have a couple of major concerns. First, I see that the NY
Natural Heritage program now lists ginseng as S3/S4 (vulnerable/apparently
secure). Previously it was classified as S4 "apparently secure" S3/S4 is
defined as less than 100 "documented" populations statewide. This is
NONSENSE! I can personally show anyone more than 100 ginseng populations
and there are likely thousands more out there. One single dealer I
personally know has bought ginseng from over 400 different individuals.
This is documented data and has been duly reported to the state ginseng
coordinator.  Does anyone think that all these people are all digging from
the same 100 or less populations? We have dealers all over the state buying
from many other diggers, Ginseng coordinators have data in their files to
refute this nonsense. Do other states have this same "disconnect" from the
data that has been recorded by state ginseng coordinators and their NH
programs?  A similar situations exists in KY which exports some 5 or 6
million wild roots each year despite their Natural Heritage Program saying
there are fewer than 100 populations. Their export data is also well
documented but apparently the folks at Natural Heritage are also clueless
about this. Will someone please tell me what needs to be done to get NY and
other NH programs to change their rating? They seem to exist in some sort
of "ivory tower" that does not bother to touch base with reality. I have
gone on their website and have offered to show them populations but have
not ever even received a reply.  This elitist attitude breeds contempt from
harvesters and creates a sense of hopelessness among concerned ginseng
researchers and needs to be addressed.
Second, as comprehensive as the USF and W "findings" appear to be, they are
loaded with citations of "personal conversations" and "unpublished data" .
This amounts to no less than "hearsay" and indicates bias since neither
"personal conversations" nor "unpublished data"  to the contrary is cited.
I strongly support and encourage USF and W to use science as a basis for
their decisions, but "unpublished data" and "personal conversations" are
not science.
Bob Beyfuss