[MPWG] Help needed

rrr at montana.com rrr at montana.com
Tue Feb 28 08:10:59 CST 2006

Hello JP,

Herbalists get such sad emails all the time. Sometimes they are a ruse,
but often I think they are real. It makes it very difficult if there are
no herbalists in their area that can help them.

Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT) is one of the most common inherited
neurological disorders. Genetic diseases are impossible to change by
herbal methods, of course. So a herbalist will try and strengthen the
tissues with tonics and deal with the symptoms. Nervine herbs that relax
muscles and of course digestive tonics that are ultimately linked to the
nervous system.

Most diseases have inflammation that causes tissue damage. There is a lot
herbalists can suggest to lower inflammation with diet, such as you
suggested with omega-3 fatty acids. It will not cure anything, but simply
helps limit pain and tissue damage. Adaptogenic herbs (a Russian term
similar to rasayana or qi tonic) and herbs and foods high in flavonoid and
stilbenes such as resveratrol (see research on sirtuin and resveratrol)
may be helpful. So even if this person does not have access to exotic
herbs, there is still food which he can choose.

One of the most experienced herbalists I know who was taught by a Nepalese
Ayurvedic doctor is Alan Tillotson. I will direct this man to his website
which discusses neurological disorders and herbs used for them.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/neuropathy.html

For the benefit of all beings,
Robyn Klein, Herbalist AHG and Medical Botanist