[MPWG] Chinese Gov't to Preserve Tibetan Plant Medicine? Can Occupiers be Trusted?

Ipakatawo9 at aol.com Ipakatawo9 at aol.com
Sat Feb 25 01:50:01 CST 2006

Mt. Washington, Los Angeles, CA 90026
Waning Moon before Tibetan Losar 2133

AN OPEN LETTER TO:

NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO,
THE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC, Research & Exploration,
THE CHINESE INSTITUTE OF BOTANY,
KUNMING INSTITUTE OF BOTANY, Yang Yongping
MISSOURI BOTANICAL GARDEN, Jan Salick
ELIZABETH ARNOLD

RE: Creating Profitable Pharma Industry in Yunnan, China  while Protecting
Tibetan Medicinal  Plants?

You may fool some of the people some of the time but not all people all the
time. Sure, let the fox watch the henhouse.

"There is a revival of Tibetan culture in China, and that's led to a renewed
interest in traditional medicine rooted in Buddhism."

[Revival? Since when did occupation and/or annexation become revival? ]

"At the Kunming Institute of Botany,  {Yunnan, China ]  scientists analyze
and synthesize the chemical compounds of China's wealth of medicinal plants. "

[ Erratum:  Analyze and synthesize Tibet's  fabled wealth of medicinal plants
 ---[ to survey which ones to be patented.]

Listen,  you Corporate goons and  minions----enough Tibetans and enough
people around the world  know about biopiracy.The plant medicine world is not
stupid.

In the current map of China, the shameless Chinese has already changed the
name of  the great land of Tibet to XIZANG.

Why is the National Geographic, National Public Radio, and Missouri Botanical
Garden helping  China rewrite history?   Who paid for the China & Tibet trip
of the author?    The manner  and tone of this article  has given you away.
How dare you use the word sacred?

Need I say more?

Firefly
POB 1456
South Pasadena, CA 91031

==================================
Himalayan Healing Plants
Sacred Protection for Medicinal Plants

 by Elizabeth Arnold

 Enlarge
Elizabeth Arnold

Shrine to Buddha in the home of Chindru, a practicioner of traditional
Tibetan herbal medicine.
 Elizabeth Arnold

In the peaks where Chindru, pictured above, collects plants for his herbal
remedies, some plant species have become scarce and others have simply vanished.

 > “The Tibetans keep reminding me that sacred sites are much greater than
> just conservation sites. For them, it's a connection with the ethereal, with
> eternity, with the universe.”
Jan Salick

 Elizabeth Arnold
Buddhist pilgrims on the trail circling the sacred peak of Kawakarpo. They
wear mitts and aprons because they prostrate themselves for the length of the
journey, touching their foreheads to the ground to show their devotion.

 Enlarge
Elizabeth Arnold
Burning incense at a shrine with a commanding view of Kawakarpo, one of the
holy mountains of Tibetan Buddhism.

 Morning Edition,
 February 21, 2006 ·

At the Kunming Institute of Botany, scientists analyze and synthesize the
chemical compounds of China's wealth of medicinal plants. The institute's deputy
director, Yang Yongping, says the government's goal is to develop a profitable
pharmaceutical industry in Yunnan Province -- and that leads to a firm
commitment to conservation, to protect the source of potential new medicines.

Many of these medicinal plants are under a dual threat: global warming and
the growing global demand for them.

"We have a moral responsibility to keep those species in our earth village,"
he says.
Conservation is already built in to Tibetan culture, where plants are
considered both medicinal and spiritual.

There is a revival of Tibetan culture in China, and that's led to a renewed
interest in traditional medicine rooted in Buddhism.

The Chinese Institute of Botany has partnered with Jan Salick, an
ethnobotanist from the Missouri Botanical Garden, to study medicinal plants and their
cultural uses. Religion plays an important part of the healing process, she says.
"It's not just plants that are ground up and you take as medicine -- it's a
whole belief system."
Traditional doctors also hold a special status in Tibetan culture.  Elizabeth
Arnold met with Chindru, a 70-year-old doctor in a tiny village carved out of
the side of a hillside 100 miles northwest of Sumsteling. In the peaks high
above this village where Chindru does his collecting, he's noticed a change --
some species have become scarce, others have simply vanished.

Part of the problem, Salick says, is the growing international demand for
traditional medicinal plants. Salick's primary focus is the effect of climate
change on high-altitude plants, but she says commercial harvesters are having a
big impact on mountain biodiversity.

More than half the 6,000 plant species in Yunnan Province are used for
medicinal purposes, with an estimated worldwide market of four billion people.
Salick's aim is to partner with traditional doctors like Chindru to encourage
Tibetans and Chinese to harvest plants in a more sustainable way to forestall
wiping out entire species.
And fortunately, the underpinnings of conservation already exist in Tibetan
culture. Holy sites, such as the eight sacred mountains of Tibetan Buddhism,
have become pockets of biodiversity in a rapidly changing landscape.
"The Tibetans keep reminding me that sacred sites are much greater than just
conservation sites," says Salick. "For them, it's a connection with the
ethereal, with eternity, with the universe. So we don't have to... set aside lands
and disrupt traditional practices -- we can use traditional practices for
conservation purposes."

Botanist Jan Salick's research is supported by National Geographic Society's
Committee for Research and Exploration, which in more than a century has
provided nearly 8,000 research grants worldwide. The committee funds everything
from primate research to Mayan archaeology to assessing the biological diversity
of the deep ocean.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

News and Information: Position and Briefing Papers:
Bibliography on Current Conditions in Tibet

General

Adhe, Ama, Ama Adhe: The Voice that Remembers. Boston: Wisdom Publications,
1997.

Avedon, John, In Exile From the Lands of Snows. New York: Knopf, 1986.

Barnett, Robbie & Shirin Akiner, (eds), Resistance and Reform in Tibet.
Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1994.

Cao Changching and James Seymour, Tibet through Dissident Chinese Eyes.
Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 1998.

Gyatso, Palden, with Tsering Shakya, The Autobiography of a Tibetan Monk. New
York: Grove Press, 1997.

Information Office of the State Council, Tibet: Its Ownership and Human
Rights Situation. Beijing, 1992.

Norbu, Dawa, The Road Ahead. New Delhi, 1997.

Panchen Lama. A Poisoned Arrow: The Secret Report of the 10th Panchen Lama.
London: 1997.

Panchen Lama, The Panchen Lama Speaks. Dharamsala: Department of Information &
 International Relations, 1991.

Tashi, Tsering, The Struggle for Modern Tibet. Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 1997.

Human Rights

Amnesty International, Persistent Human Rights Violations in Tibet. London:
1996.

Bass, Catriona, Education in Tibet. London: Tibet Information Network & Zed
Books, 1999.

Human Rights Watch/Asia, Merciless Repression. New York, 1990.

Human Rights Watch, Detained in China and Tibet. New York, 1994.

'Human Rights Watch/Tibet Information Network, Cutting Off the Serpents Head:
Tightening Control in Tibet, 1994-1995. New York: 1996.

International Campaign for Tibet, Jampa: The Story of Racism in Tibet.
Washington, 2001

International Campaign for Tibet, A Season to Purge: Religious Repression in
Tibet. Washington, 1996.

International Campaign for Tibet, China's Public Relations Strategy on Tibet.
Washington: 1993.

International Committee of Lawyers for Tibet, Violence and Discrimination
Against Tibetan Women. San Francisco, 1998.

Seymour, James D. and Richard Anderson, New Ghosts, Old Ghosts: Prisons and
Labor Camps in China. Armonk: M.E. Sharpe, 1998.

Tibet Information Network and Law Association for Asia and the Pacific,
Defying the Dragon: China and Human Rights in Tibet. Manila and London, 1991.

Tibetan Centre for Human Rights and Democracy, Behind Bars: Prison Conditions
in Tibet. Dharamsala, 1998.

United States Department of State, Country Reports, 1990 - 2000.

Legal

International Commission of Jurists, Tibet: Human Rights and the Rule of Law.
Geneva, 1998.

Walt, Michael van, The Status of Tibet: History, Rights, and Prospects in
International Law. Boulder: Westview Press, 1987.

Rebecca Redwood French, The Golden Yoke: The Legal Cosmology of Buddhist
Tibet. Ithica: Cornell University Press, 1995.

Sociology

Dung-dkar blo-bzang 'phrim-las, The Merging of Religious and Secular Rule in
Tibet. Beijing: Foreign Languages Press, 1991.

Heberer, Thomas. China and its National Minorities: Autonomy or Assimilation?
London: M.E. Sharpe, 1989.

Schwartz, Ronald, Circle of Protest. New York: Columbia University Press,
1994.

History

Dalai Lama, My Land, My People. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1962.

Goldstein, Melvyn, A History of Modern Tibet, 1913-1951: The Demise of the
Lamaist State. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1989.

Shakabpa, Tsepon, Tibet: A Political History. New Haven: Yale University
Press, 1967.

Smith, Warren, Tibetan Nation: A History of Tibetan Nationalism and
Sino-Tibetan Relations. Boulder: Westview Press, 1997.

Wang Furen & Suo Wenqing, Highlights of Tibetan History. Beijing: New World
Press, 1984.

Environment & Development

Cultural Survival and International Campaign for Tibet, Developing Tibet? A
Survey of International Development Projects. Washington: 1992.

Goldstein, Melvyn and Cynthia Beall, Nomads of Western Tibet: The Survival of
a Way of Life. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1990.

International Campaign for Tibet, Nuclear Tibet: Nuclear Weapons and Nuclear
Waste on the Tibetan Plateau. Washington: 1993.

Tibet Heritage Fund, The Old City of Lhasa: Report from a Conservation
Project. Berlin: 1998.

Schaller, George, Wildlife of the Tibetan Steppe. Chicago: University of
Chicago Press, 1998.

Wang Xiaoqiang and Bai Nanfeng, Poverty of Plenty. New York: St. Martins
Press, 1001. Travel Guides

Batchelor, Stephen, The Tibet Guide. Somerville: Wisdom Publications, 1998.

Buckley, Michael, Tibet: Travel Adventure Guide. Vancouver: ITMB Publishing,
1999.

Chan, Victor, Tibet Handbook. Chico: Moon Publications, 1994.

McCue, Gary, Trekking in Tibet. Seattle: Mountaineers, 1992. This page was
last modified on October 18, 2005 at 12:00:57 PM.

International Campaign for Tibet
1825 Jefferson Place NW
Washington, DC 20036
United States of America