[MPWG] Ginseng production in containers?

MoonBranch Botanicals moonbranch at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 11 12:35:31 CST 2006

Hi Steve,
In my experience container production of ginseng is easily accomplished if you can meet all of the following criteria:

-appropriate shade as is required in general production
-use of a sharply drained media (substrate) high in organic matter
-root area (containers) must be kept cool and moist, but not wet
-an organic fertilizer (i.e. soybean meal or fertrell) and trace elements can be beneficial

With that stated, keep in mind about what others have added regarding acheiving a wild looking root after plants are located to their final location. This generally means very limited fertility levels during growing period. However, any serious soil nutritional deficiencies as indicated by a soil test should be corrected prior to planting.

Long term container production should only be used to produce "nursery" or planting stock, or for seed production as the roots will definately exhibit cutivated traits. Also, extra care must be given with regards to using a media that is slow to decay. I would avoid peat based medias as they quickly break down, becoming slimy and will eventually cause the roots to rot.

Hope this helps!
Robin