[MPWG] Ginseng production in containers?

Steve Diver steved at ncat.org
Fri Feb 10 11:03:52 CST 2006

Geetings MPWG -

I'm familiar with ginseng cultivation via wild simulated in
forests and bed production in a shade house.

A start-up farmer that I'm working with has a nice forest
location to try the wild simulated method.   Do you think
that rock phosphate and compost or humates are an
essential soil amendment, or just plant into native soils?

But the real question relates to container production of
ginseng, for eventual transplanting into beds or forest,
or perhaps from seed-to-havest in three to five years down
the road.  The farmer has too many stratified seeds and
too little time to forest plant the whole "pound" of seeds by
end of February to mid-March.

Is there any experience raising quality medicinal ginseng
in containers and pots.... any size and shape, or troughs.

Knowledge of compost-based potting mixes and organic
fertility is readily available.

Just need to know if ginseng can be successfully
raised in pots and obtain medicinal quality for sale into the
trade, and if there is any technical literature on container
production.

Thanks,

Steve Diver
Fayetteville, Arkansas