[MPWG] [PCA] Electronic Public Discussion: Evaluating the Invasive Potential of Imported Plants

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Dec 22 10:08:50 CST 2006

Hi Steve
I agree with much of what you say below, in particular the part about
ecosystems not being static! This is my point entirely! If a natural event
such as a forest fire burns up a forest, It will soon be colonized
(invaded?) by new species of plants that were not there before the fire.
These plants may be considered as "exotic" to that forest ecosystem since
they were not there before the fire but moved in afterwards as result of
the fire. Whether those plants were present nearby 100 years ago or 400
years ago makes no difference. The process of colonization followed by
succession is exactly the same whether the pioneer species are native from
400 years ago or introduced 100 years ago. . The big question is "what is
native?" or how long does a plant or animal have to be here before it is
considered "native". Policy makers (not scientists, scientist know that
picking dates like this is not at all scientific) have
"arbitrarily"  chosen the time period of somewhere around the year 1600 AD
as the beginning of "exotic" plant importations and hence invasions. This
is almost as stupid as saying that black locust is an "invasive, exotic"
plant species in NY State when it is "native" to Pennsylvania. Yet black
locust is "listed" as such by the Invasive Plant Council of NY.  I have
issues with "lists" like these.
The Asian peoples that colonized the United States before European
settlement brought plants with them and many of those plants became
naturalized and since they were here before 1600 they are now considered as
"native".  The plants they brought in had the same virtues or vices as
plants imported since 1600. Undoubtedly they affected the previously
"native" ecosystems just like the post 1600 plants have affected the
current "native" ecosystem. As you point out, these systems are not static.
They are constantly changing whether due to natural events such as fire or
wind or tides, or man made events such as acid rain, global warming,
paving, selective herbicides etc. Policy makers have decided that "we like
these ecosystems that have been here since 1600 and we will are trying to
protect them from the invasive plants". But it is the environment that
ultimately determines whether any given plant will survive or not. The
plants that appear succeed or fail based on the environment that is
"currently" in place. When the environment changes, so too will the species
composition.
The Catskill Mountains of NY State where I live used to be called the "Blue
Mountains" because of the blue like haze they presented from a distance.
That color was due to the fact that the predominant tree species was
hemlock associated with beech. Settlers cut down almost all the "native"
hemlock  for the tanning industry. Since the environment was drastically
changed by removing the hemlock the tree species that succeeded them was
not hemlock but sugar maple. The Mountains no longer projected the blue
haze and now they are called the Catskill Mountains. In this situation
sugar maple may be considered an "exotic invasive" species since it has
clearly changed the ecosystem it replaced. Sugar maple did not "destroy"
the native environment any more than garlic mustard will "destroy" the
current environment but it will surely change it.
I have no problem with people trying to  preserve a "current" ecosystem
because they happen to like that ecosystem but this is purely an arbitrary
decision and not how nature works. If you want to get rid of a particular
plant, that is fine with me, but don't force me to cater to your whim. To
pretend that preserving a current ecosystem by banning plants that "might"
be successful in it is bad, very bad policy.
This policy diverts sparse resources from far more pressing environmental
concerns, like global warming and other habitat alterations caused by
humans that are correctable by means other than banning plants. As Jean
pointed out, when a coal company blows the top off a Mountain, we should be
happy that anything grows back! I would much rather have Norway Maple
growing along the street than no tree at all. This policy also assumes that
someone in Washington or Albany or some other state capital is able to
distinguish "good" plants from "bad" plants. I sincerely hope that
scientists don't make judgmental calls about "good and bad"  plants. In
science there are no "good" or "bad" plants. There are just plants with
different characteristics. Yes, purple loosestrife will displace many other
species of plants and form almost a monoculture for a period of time. No
one really knows how long that period of time will be. It might be 50 years
or maybe even 100 years but if there is anything we know for sure, we know
that it will not be there forever.  To label purple loosestrife as a "bad"
plant overlooks its good points. It makes wonderful honey, it does provide
food for many species of wildlife as do the much maligned "exotic"
honeysuckles, Autumn olive, multiflora rose, etc. By banning plants simply
because they are exotic and may be potentially invasive, what potentially
valuable plants are we excluding? Should people like Liberty Hyde Bailey,
Thomas Edison and the many, many other botanists who made collecting trips
abroad be condemned as evil people because they brought back new plant
material? Should the pilgrims have been forced to leave behind the plants
they used in the old world?  90% of the food we eat and a substantial
amount of the plants we enjoy horticulturally are "exotic".
The county executive in NY who "banned" the use the use of all but native
plants in any county landscaping projects should be "banned" from drinking
coffee, tea, orange juice, milk and beer. He should not eat beef, chicken,
pork, bread, tofu, rice, apples, oranges, kiwi fruit, mangos, avocados,
lettuce, onions, garlic, cabbage or any of it relatives. He should remove
his Kentucky bluegrass lawn, all his spring flowering bulbs, most of his
shrubs and most of his other landscape plants as these are all "exotic"
species. Failure to do so makes him a hypocrite in my opinion.

Robin wrote that some of these "exotics" have formed an almost impenetrable
thicket on her property. Have you ever tried to walk through a "native"
rhododendron thicket in Virginia or North Carolina? A botanist I know who
works in the Smoky Mountains calls these thickets "Rhododendron hell" but
they are "native". A rose by any other name still smells sweet.

In a nutshell, my main problem with this whole issue is that it is
extraordinarily arbitrary and judgmental. European honey bees have
displaced many, many other native pollinating insects but since we like to
eat honey, that is OK? The multi colored Asian lady beetles has displaced
virtually every other species of lady beetle in NY State but since the
imported beetle eats fruit pest insects, that is OK too. Never mind that
the "fruit" they are protecting are in themselves, exotic species.
Scientists may observe nature and report that species A is now replacing
species b,c or d. When scientists start saying that this is "bad" or "good"
they are imposing their opinions and not their observations. When policy
makers start making policies based on opinions, we suffer as a nation.

It is nice that in this Holiday season, some of us have time to engage in
these interesting discussions. Happy Holidays to all of you, native
Americans and exotics too!

bob

bium hirsutum, they were introduced as