[MPWG] Opp to Support Harvesters

etj-list at ifcae.org etj-list at ifcae.org
Fri Oct 28 12:07:40 CDT 2005

Dear Medicinal Plant Working Group members - I know it's more in vogue to
make harvesters look like the bad guys, but here is an opportunity to do
something to support them.  You may or may not agree with efforts to
control alder and salmon berry but at the least alternatives to spraying
pesticides (herbacides?) should be explored and the cultural and broader
ecological ramifications clearly understood.  For those interested write to
the addresses below, they have additional details they can provide.  ej

----------------------------------

At 10/27/2005, you wrote:

>It’s Back: Helicopter Pesticide Spraying in Southeast Alaska
>

>Who, What, Why, and When?
>

>Who: Long Island Trust / Klukwan, Inc.
>

>What: Klukwan, Inc. has re-applied to the Alaska Department of
>Environmental Conservation (DEC) for a permit to spray a mixture of
>pesticides and other chemicals by helicopter over 2,000 acres on Long
>Island, near Prince of Wales Island. The target area includes fish habitat
>and subsistence and recreation areas.
>
>Why: To kill salmonberry and red alder.
>
>When: Spraying would occur during the busy subsistence and commercial
>fishing month of August, 2006.
>
>Last June, DEC conducted a public comment period for Klukwan, Inc.’s first
>aerial spraying permit application. After SEACC and 28 other groups—tribal
>councils, fishermen, health care providers, and conservation
>organizations—appealed DEC’s decision to issue the permit, Klukwan, Inc.
>relinquished its permit.  However, Klukwan, Inc. has since re-applied and
>added yet another untested chemical to the toxic brew it proposes to spray
>from helicopters.
>
>This is the first aerial spraying application under new pesticide
>regulations. Permit conditions applied to this project will set the
>standard for future projects. Over half a million acres of clearcut
>private, state, and federal land around Alaskan communities—supplying
>drinking water, wild food, basket-making materials, traditional medicines,
>salmon, and other fisheries—could be subjected to similar aerial pesticide
>spraying proposals.
>
>  So
concerned citizens have another opportunity to ask DEC tough