[MPWG] quick question about ginseng use

jziagos at comcast.net jziagos at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 15:24:51 CDT 2005

Hi,
Panax ginseng is Asian - American is Panax quinquefolius, I think.  I work for a company that makes vitamin and herbal supplements - have never heard of ginseng used topically for nails. Neither the PDR for Herbal Medicines nor the Oriental Materia Medica suggest this usage for ginseng.  Now I'm curious, I'll look a little further.
Jan

Hello, this is one for the ginseng experts among you...

I'm beginning a project with a cosmetics company, helping them source some ingredients.  My question; Is there any reason whatsoever to apply ginseng root extract to finger or toe nails?  Is there any literature that would indicate delivery of any medicinal / tonic benefit from extract applied to finger or toe nails?  The company in question lists "panax ginseng extract" in its ingredients list for nail oil (not sure yet if it's asian or american, will inquire).

Would appreciate any leads, thanks,
Jennifer