[MPWG] advice on ayurveda

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 00:33:03 CST 2005

Hi,
    In many systems of medicine  toxic substances are used as medicine. In Ayuerveda and many other systems of medicine including Homoeopathy Arsenic and other chemicals are used as medicine. Hartal is one of these medicines in which sulphides of Arsenic are used.The details of Hartal can be obtained from Traditional Medicinal knowledge about Hartal in Chhattisgarh, India
http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/219_hartal.html

 Arsenic album is one of the frequently used medicine in Homoeopathy.It is reported to be very effective against cancer.I would also like to add that Arsenic is not always harmful. In many parts of World Arsenic is used by the women for getting beauty and by men as tonic (Please consult Materia Medica by E.A.Farrington for more details). Similiar is the case with Mercury (Parad) and Lead. Its use requires expertise.

Every Ayurveda products not contain metals or Bhasma. The Indian traditional healers suggest the patients to try to use herbal preparations under their strict supervision and try to make the formulations at home. It reduces the chance of adulteration. The commercialization of Ayurveda has lead to adulteration and other malpractices. Now by simply seeing the advertisements common people are using these medicines without consulting experts. You will find hundreds of herbal products on net claiming as Ayurveda products. Self medication is always dangerous. The general concept that herbs are always safe and free from side effects is not true. Ayurveda present in commerical market is far from True Ayurveda present in India with the real Ayurveda experts.

As far as GMP is concerned it is prepared and suggested by the modern researchers. Unfortunately the traditional healers and traditional knowledge about herbs are not taken under consideration. It has also ignored Traditional Allelopathic Knowledge through which the herbs are enriched with medicinal properties.

regards
Pankaj Oudhia
padma kumar <elankom2002 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello,

I recently purchased an Ayurvedic medicine for my mother who is suffering from
severe arthritis in the knee. The product was dispensed by an ayurvedic physician
from his clinic here in India. In local language it is called "kashayam" and it is
supposed to be consumed twice a day, a cupfull each time. The medicine does
seem to have an effect and my mother says there is some relief.
Now my dilemna is that, of late I have come across several newspaper reports of
ayurvedic preparations containing steroids and some metal substances. This is
very depressing to me because on the one hand the medicine my mother takes
is effective and on the other hand I have no way of knowing if it contains harmful
substances. Does any one know of how to go about finding the presence of
harmful substances like steroids in ayurvedic products?

regards,
padmakumar

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc. reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation Alliance.